On the Back of postcards...

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Jan 14, 2009.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

What have you found best to put on the back of postcards to get a response?

I have tried the discount for showing this card line, the guarantee line, the free demo line, etc.

For Christmas Lights last year it seemed the best card ever was a list of 7-8 quotes from clients who basically said this was a great deal for them, and then I listed thier first name and the subdivsion/city they lived in. One of my favorites-

"I cannot believe how much nicer my home looks after David did his work. Not only do the trees and home look awesome, now I feel safe to come home at night. Everyone asks me who did this work, and I happily reccomend Brite Ideas."

I may repeat this as it made the phone ring, but I am wondering If you guys have any other ideas for postcards. and yes, the front will feature one of my jobs, a before and after pic, etc.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Testimonials always seem made when I see them in an ad...

But what my customers have written on Angie's List and Yahoo Local seem to get me referrals...

What do marketing people say about using testimonials?

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I always wonder if the testimonials are real?? LOL

How about a short Bio with some of your most popular projects listed...maybe some logos of awards you have recieved or a BBB rating or something like that?

4. LightYourNight

LightYourNight LawnSite Member

Free landscape lighting...

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Correction... I meant to say:

In other words, like Joey, I naturally tend to doubt that they're real.

6. David Gretzmier

What seemed to work for me last year on quotes, for Christmas lights, was using folks first name and subdivision names. As I tend to only mail to about 8 subdivsions, and I get most of my work in those neighborhoods, I actually had folks say they knew that person. I've got 3 folks who said I could give out thier phone number for a referance along with the quote, but I just can't put those numbers out there on a card.

Although there may folks out there who agree with you about made up quotes, thinking they are fake, the one card that seemed to make the phone ring was the quote card.

OK, now, 4 posts with no advice on what to do, how about some folks chime in that are helpful? ok, edit, joey did add something constructive, after his LOL.

7. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Your card should tell them what they need to do, a call to action as they call it.

8. David Gretzmier

ah yes- I agree, but would love some examples that have worked for folks. Call for a free estimate, or call to have us light up your home, seems lame and I've done that before. The cards I've sent out with a call to action never seem to get action. the ones that seem informative get more, and the ones with quotes do the best.

9. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

These are two different card backs from 2008, Both of them provided about a .001% or 5 sold designs return ratio. Thats 5 jobs out of about 5300 cards. We usually get about 20K of work out of each mailing.

Example 10001.JPG

Example 20001.JPG

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you get your clients to sign a privacy / information release before you publish their addresses in this format?

I understand the advantage of being able to do so, allowing prospects to drive by and know what jobs are 'yours', but I am surprised that so many clients would approve or be interested in providing their addresses in this manner. Most of my clients always insist that no reference be given in regards to their name, address, location etc.

Have a great day.