On the clock?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Aug 8, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

hmm,...but my point is, I wouldn't say "start time" until they get behind the mower. Is this ethical is the question.

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

If they meet me at the shop I pay when we get in truck but if I have to pick them up I pay from when we get to first job.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

So after all this thinking about start times ,you'll save about 5 bucks a week.

4. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

Well, more like 8 bucks an hour, per person=a lot a month eventually.

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Legally you must pay from the time they first start work until they are done working. If they have to load tools etc. pay starts right away. If they just get in the truck and ride, pay doesn't have to start until the reach the job and start working, same at end of day. Between jobs, pay must continue. Myself I pay shop back to shop. It makes for a happier crew.

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have a time clock in the truck, it's plugged into an inverter. Our guys clock in when we get to a lawn clock out when we are done with that lawn and back in when we get to the next lawn.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Right!!!

They sign in at the shop @ 8 and sign out as we leave the shop in the evening.

I like it when the lawns are close together, they like it when they are not.:laugh:

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If they are under your control in your truck they are on the clock, whether they actually "working" or not. Sitting in the truck is working since they're not exactly free to leave. Where things get a little less clear is if they're driving their personal vehicle to a job site. Things vary a little state-to-state too.

I pay from the time my employees hop in the truck (I do the loading/unloading) until the time we get back to the shop. I pay for all breaks, including lunch time as well. I pay for the time they're sitting in the truck while I run into the dealer or to do other errands such as banking too. I also have spots along my route where we stop for quick 10 or 15 minute breaks two or 3 times a day when out mowing....scenic spots mostly...ponds, lakes, parks etc. For other types of work where we may be at the same location all day long, they're free to take a break any time they feel they need one. If I'm billing a job hourly, I subtract out breaks....the customer doesn't pay for them...but my employees still get paid.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

15 years after the fact is not going to matter to the employer or an attorney willing to handle the case, if you can find one, and if the company you worked for is still in business?. The fact that you have stated that this is one of Two reasons why you left the company indicates that things were really not that bad or you just did not really care, perhaps until now?. Start up time is when my employees arrive minus a 1/2 for lunch and when the day is done for clock out.
    easy-lift guy

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

You're legally allowed to not pay drive time back to the shop as long as the employees just exit the truck and leave and don't unload.

It might depend on the states though

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Time in company vehicle between jobs is working. I don't understand how people could think any different.

If they got injured while driving between jobs would workmans comp pay them? There's your answer.
    Posted via Mobile Device