On the clock?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Aug 8, 2012.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

When is your start time?. The question of ethics has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Leading by example and your company policy are the only Two concerns you should have.
    easy-lift guy

2. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

lol, that was funny!

3. cutman2000

Damn, are you hiring?

4. cutman2000

You're contradicting yourself. Even leading by example would lead to some ethics, hopefully along with a few morals in there. I want to know my legal rights. If I don't have to pay for the ride from a job site, that may be something I'd consider for now, but if it's the law, I have no problem paying, just want to know what rights I have. And furthermore, what's "your" definition of "start time?" This question is rhetorical and I'm being sarcastic.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Your required to follow the law. Ethically you should not be trying to screw your employees. They make your money for you. Start reducing their paychecks by 50 cents here and a dollar there and they will reduce your bottom line by 50's and 100's. Unless they perform duties at the shop the minute that truck door closes they are no longer free to do as they wish and are "on the job". Ask Walmart how it went for them in court when they started trying to pay stockers salary and chinese overtime.:usflag:

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

GV beat me to it, but why does this question have to come up a half dozen times a year?

It just seems so very simple, doesn't it?

Exactly, man up, raise your prices if you have to and pay what they are owed.

For crying out loud, this is so basic.

OK, let's put it this way. IF you were the employee, would it be ethical and moral for your boss to screw you out of a couple bucks that he legally, ethically and morally owes you?

Does that clear this mess up?

Since we're talking ethics and morals, you do remember the Golden Rule? Do to others as you would have do to you.

Again, it seems so very simple.

Great point on the WC.

What do you know? Quit confusing the issue with logic.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I pay for time they punch in to the time they punch out with a minor exception. The morning clock begins at 6:30 AM and from that I do the math. So if they clock in 10 mins early that is on them.

I pay OT over 40, pay for 2 X 15 mn breaks and I do not pay for a 30 min lunch break.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry but I can't believe this question was even asked.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

There's right and wrong way to control employee costs. Hanging around the shop an hour after things are buttoned up for the day should be controlled. My guys show up motivated to get the day done and out of this heat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

No, what's bad is that it gets asked numerous times each and every year.