On the clock?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Everybodys looking to control costs. Some guys are just a little misguided. Hopefully we save him from a mass walkoff or a beatdown. Guys get a little testy humping in this heat all day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What a lot of guys are unaware of is,that if you have employees follow you in their car and get in an accident you maybe responsible for it.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yes it can be true, depends on the reason.
    If you make them do it then it is on you.
    If they do it because they need to knock off early then it depends on the activity.

States vary so do your home work... GV brings up a good point.

I do not ask my guys to chase a truck. :waving:

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I should point out that this goes for anyone working for you. Sending the secretary to the bank or to pick up office supplies with their own cars,If they get into an accident you may be responsible to.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago I used to use my truck for work purposes doing real estate inspections and field work and added a rider to my policy after being advised that I would not be covered while using if for business purposes. I would have been covered by my company's policy for liability but not for comprehsive or collison, if I recall properly.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

From the time employees are in my truck till end time they are paid. I also pay their 1/2 hr lunch. I try to keep employee moral high...that in turn keeps profits high also!

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Its Non owned coverage and can be added to your commercial vehicle policy. I have it, and always have.

I will not let an employee follow me in his personal vehicle, at all. If he needs to leave early, someone can pick him up. If he needs to come in late, someone can drop him off.

BUT, by law, if he is in his own vehicle between jobs, you don't have to pay him........................LOL......because he is under his own control at that point.

That last part is meant to be funny....but it is true, at least in NC, according to my interpretation. But keep in mind I ain't no lawyer.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It's the same way here. My wife was considering working for Companions and Homemakers and you didn't get paid time for travel between appointments and you didn't get reimbursed for you car unless you were transporting a client. Not a very good deal, especially at a low wage.