1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

On the DL for couple months!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, Dec 11, 2006.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

about ten days ago, we had a significant ice storm roll through the area. all of the ice caused considerable tree damage. we headed out to begin cleanups as normal. on day 3 - all he!! broke loose. as i was in a tree cutting a limb off (appeared so simple that the branch would just drop. have done this work countless times before), for some reason the branch did not fall as expected, but snapped back and caught me in the right hand. split the bone in my right forearm into three pieces. had surgery the next day an spent a couple more in the hospital.

with a plate and several screws - they tell me 6-8 months in a cast an then 6 month minimum rehab. this is so frustrating!!!!! all the things you want to get done over the winter to be ready for the next season all gets scrapped now. uuugggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Man that is terrible, sorry to hear that you got hurt. Just think, could have been worse though. Hope you heal soon. Listen to what the doctors tell you and do everything you can to promote a speedy recovery so that you can get back to work as soon as possible when the spring comes.

Merry Christmas from Total Lawn Care.
  3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear you got hurt don't rush the healing process ( by that I mean don't take on to much to soon) it could set you back further
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

One word for you AFLAC!
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Few years back I broke my tib and fib two bones basically became five pieces. Had rod and pins installed. It wasn't fun. I feel for ya. Hope your recovery goes well with no major hicups.

I'm not sure which is worse the arm or the leg. Hope you aren't right handed!;)
  6. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

start taking those vitamins and calcium (im not doctor but it makes sense that calcium and vitamin D could help the bones heal faster, right?)

seriously though, glad to hear you are here typing to us and i hope you can prove the doc wrong and be back out there within 8 months instead of the year -1 year and 2 months that they are telling you
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

that sucks i hope you get better soon my brother was unhooking a trailer about 3 weeks ago and the jack slipped and fell his first instinct was to grab it and he did and it pinched his hand to the ground broke it and ripped the skin when he pulled it out had surgery and hes still healing so i know how you feel
  8. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

thank you all for the words of encouragement. this has been pretty difficult adjustment from the go-go-go life that i am accustomed to. i am popping about every vitamin i can think of right now. we were thinking on the same page!! what a downer it is though as winter is such a great time to relax, regroup, test out equipment, paint trailers, etc - and then WHAM! - it's like not anymore! oh well - deep breaths right? haha! thanks again though!
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Get well soon!
  10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just got out of the hospital myself, I had my right ankle reconstructed...The pain sucks....If I take the pain killers I'm out for 6hrs which kills me. Its tough sitting around with my leg up hoping it doesn't snow. Got a new Truck and plow that haven't seen a flake yet. I've been practicing driving with my left foot which seems to be good so far....Good luck with the healing