On the road again

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by olderthandirt, Oct 16, 2003.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How far would you guys be willing to travel for a job and how much above your normal rates would you charge? I'm not talking about 1 mow but a job that should take about 45-50 hrs. I gotta chance to do a job in N, Carolina but its about 600 miles. So what would it be? double,triple, regular rate plus travel expense. Or just blow it off and recommend a local.
    Mac

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Although 600 miles for a 50 hr job sounds a bit extreme .. go for it if your getting your rate for travel and any other expences ...would it be 4 or 5 guys for a day or is a hotel and food needed?

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Find someone in NC to sub it out to and just add your markup to that price and bill the customer. You dont even have to leave your area but still make money. I have traveled up to 120 miles each way to do a landscaping job, but 600 seems a little too much for me unless you want a change of scenery and a sort of "vacation" i guess you can call it.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

By the way what town is the job at?

5. olderthandirt

from here

They built a place between myrtel beach and Fayetteville. Its my "step-sister" she lives there now and married money and just loves my work. They said I could stay in there beach house at myrtal beach to save myself some $ This is NO BS they say there builder set aside 70k for landscaping. There talking sprinklers, sod, some stone work and an "amish setting" and what else I think they would like. They own one and half acres, I know they have the money and I am assuming prices are about the same as ohio. So guys would you make the trip? actually 2 one would be to locate materials and get a feel for the job [The Vacation] and the second to do the job. I'm thinking 3 of us and rent equip there. And what am I missing becouse 70k alot for residential landscaping! Iv'e got $$$$$$ dancing around my head from what I know they want. Mac

6. olderthandirt

from here

Come on guys over 90 hit and only three replys You think I'm wasting my time with it or should I go for it??????

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

What it really comes down to is, do you want to go do it? If you do then go make money and have a good time. It does a person good to get out and do something different and get out of the area for a little change. Just make sure you line everything up before hand.

BTW what does an amish setting have for landscaping. I always thought it was plain.

8. olderthandirt

from here

I use a buggy as my focal point and do some plantings around it for starters

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

What am I missing here?.... 40-50 hr job?

70k is a lot more than that. Your talking about about a 600 hr Landscape construction project. Just started a 900 hour residential a week ago here.

10. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

go for it I would