"On the side..."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SodKing, Dec 4, 2004.

1. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I always get a kick when I hear "on the side." In another thread there is a post about installing fences "on the side." My question is "on the side of what???

Landscaping is our profession. I once had a client who asked if I wanted to put his lawn in "on the side, I'll pay cash..." My reply was to the effect, "hmmm, lets see, you are asking me to move 150 yards of loam, rake it out, roll it, rake it, then hydroseed it by myself??? On the weekend after I have already put my 80 hours in???? I don't do this for practice, I am a professional. I will send my landscape crew over to do all that while I sell another job for them to do when they are done yours. You can pay cash, check, or charge its all the same to me." and so on...

on the side...please
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

on the side of the yard. on the side of the house. on the side of the neighbor you most dislike
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just reading that thread as well. Funny how it's o.k. for people here to do other types of work "on the side", but when someone cuts a lawn "on the side" it's a fricken' crisis. Hypocrites!
  4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I mainly do lawn maintaince not landscaping, I am on the lawnsite forum "Commercial Lawn Care" So for me "on the side" means other than lawn maintaince. So for you Sodking, you do Landscaping also so there is no "on the side".
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I believe that their are duel meanings to the "term on the side" and after reading the thread in question your inference that "on the side" means "under the table" which is a incorrect assumption IMO. I think he only means "in addition to".
  6. SodKing

No he meant could I do it without using my employees, saving him money. he also thought if he paid cash I would decrease the bill. He was wrong on both accounts.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And you were supposed to hide the several thousand dollars where? Under your mattress, the Caymans?
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I was referring to the original thread about doing fences "on the side" not your client conspiriing to defraud the government of their share of the job.
  9. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick to what you now and do best. no sence in doing a job on the side, keep it professional. customers that do that, want to save a few bucks but there not thinking about you or your business. not worth the hassle to me.
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  10. SodKing

I aggree. As the owners of these businesses we eat, breath, sleep, and **** landscaping. There would be no difference between on the side and doing it during the normal course of business.