? on tilling 'tunias into beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Oct 25, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have a couple of commercial props where we have large beds of wave tunias installed. Its time to take them out. These beds dont have the best soil in them and I was thinking of using my Mantis(my most favorite small tool toy) and tilling the tunias into the soil. I'm going to till them anyway. Just wondering if you;ve done this in the past and if you saw an improvement the next year in the soil. It would seem that anything organic would be helpful if tilled in thoroughly...thanks for your 2 cents

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Seems that the vines on the waves will get tangled around the tines on the mantis? I think i would just pull them out and amend the soil with lots of decomposed pine bark(soil amendment) and till the hell out of it. The vines on the waves are hardening off and are getting harder to get tilled in fully i would think but correct me if i am wrong please.

3. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

You will also have all those seeds coming back next year. Pull out the spent plants and the seed pods with them.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you guys/gals are right...more of a mess than its worth. We'll just yank and till with leaf mulch...goooood stuff