? on to spray or not spray a tree wound

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Sep 19, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

2 of my Bradford el sucko Pear trees lost a large limb on each from last nights wind. Both were the lowest limbs in the infamous Bradford crotch . THe wounds on both are into the center of the trunk. I doubt these trees will survive as they're now weakened more than than they can withstand given their crotch problems.
    From what I've read over the years, spraying a pruning seal on new cuts is not recommended...but in this case, given the size of the wound would you recommend spraying it? thanks

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I recently completed a State accredited arborist class at a local college. Wound dressing is no longer recommended, but if you decide it is necessary, search for a 'Lac Compound (Balsm)' by a german company. I will try to get the name.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

If it's large, yes. Large wounds take much longer to heal and usualy don't completely.

How much of the tree did you lose?

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Not to start an arguement, but it has been scientifically proven that wound dressings actually slow down the trees natural abilities to heal itself. There is a process called CODIT, which stands for Compartmentalization of Decay in Trees. This is a systematic process where the tree seals off the wound from the rest of the tree to halt infection/insects, then begins forming another bark layer. Unnatural dressings interfere with this process. The Lac Balsam mentioned above is made with natural ingredients, and I will have to do some research to get the name for you.

5. GarPA

from PA

knew I could count on you guys for some good info. I'll stay tuned b4 I spray anything. Right now I'm using the pole pruner(man that thing is such a good tool,..."chain saw on a stick"...goes thru the 3" limbs like butter....and I'm no where close to the action and since I'm a omplete wimp when it comes to chain saws this works for me...dont even own one and never will...soo many stories I hear from experienced guys who get bit by these things....and believe or not its on a split shaft trimmer from ECHO...yep ECHO...the brand some us love to hate...lol. Only lost one large lower limb on each tree but what concerns me is how deep the wound is.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you are really worried about it, what I would suggest doing is:

1) find any bark / wood that you can and tack it back in place to fill in the wound. (wood or bark should have come off from the tree causing the injury)
    2) get some peat moss and get it nice and moist.
    3) get some saran wrap, tape, and burlap or some kind of cloth fabric.
    4) apply the wet peat moss to the injury
    5) wrap with saran wrap nice and tight
    6) seal with tape
    7) cover saran wrap with burlap to keep light out.

Let that stay on for a couple of months. It will help the tree to close up the wound.

7. GarPA

from PA

fb...I'll keep your bandage procedure in mind for the future since after my wife finally went outside and saw that at least a third of each tree is now bundled for the trashmen, she agrees they need to come down.(they were 13 years old and big) They look awful now and with their growth pattern, not much chance of them filling in the big gaps plus we dont want to rick they falling and damaging nearby pines and cars. THe person who developed Bradford Pears should be strung up by HIS pears...thanks for the help guys

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a quote from this site.

"In February of 1998, our company began a study to compare the closure rate and the presence of fungi between wounds treated with our “Treekote” tree wound dressing and wounds left untreated. At this point in time, the study wounds are not old enough to be harvested and tested for the presence of harmful fungi. However, the study wounds that were treated with “Treekote” tree wound dressing showed significantly increased callus growth, an average of more than 25%, when compared to the untreated wounds."

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Gopher

thanks for that info. Your doing GREAT!!!

Ken. I know all about tree wounds. Your right. Not going to argue with you.

Except

Where the damage is to large.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Gopher.....You the MAN!
    You do great work here!
    Personally I let nature take it's course,But large wounds may need help from time to time.