? on transfer of mower warranty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Dec 1, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Because of a poor decision on my part, I may be trading a 36" Exmark Viking in on another non Exmark mini Z. The Viking is barely dirty and has only 20 hours on it. Its been parked for 2 months and it was purchased towards the end of the summer.

Is there a snowballs chance that because this mower is virtually brand new, that we can transfer the warranty to the dealer/ or the person to whom the dealer sells it to? (New dealer is a Gravely dealer, not an Exmark dealer)

It would seem like a reasonable request but you guys might tell me I wasting my time trying to make this happen...thanks

ps...what makes this even more sticky, is that I will have nothing to do with the Exmark dealer any longer. I;m now actually driving 20 miles one way to get my Exmark z worked on by a new dealer who appreciates his customers. So if I have to kiss the original dealers butt, I can almost guarantee he wont cooperate on this....what a mess frankly

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Think ya got 2 chances Gary...slim and none. You know I hope better though for you. Good luck with this.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Your new dealer will have to be an exmark dealer to do it.
    John

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

As of about 6 months ago Exmark warranties became transferable. Give the new owner the original invoice and a bill of sale, any Exmark dealer can do the transfer on-line although they may have to call the distributor for instructions. I doubt the non-Exmark dealer can have the warranty in their name, but if you are willing to help a new non-dealer owner by providing the information it can be done. Your situation may be a bit more complex because of the non-Exmark dealer middle man, but where there is a will there is a way. Ask the Exmark folks.

5. GarPA

from PA

HAWKEYE...thank you soooooo much...yes I will call Exmark. With them being such a great company to work with, I suspect we'll be able to work thru this. THere will indeed be other Exmark machines in my future as I luv my Z but on this transaction they dont make what I need but Gravely does...thanks again

6. GarPA

from PA

Exmark got back to me on this. Unfortunately the transfer of warranty only works if the mower is traded back into an Exmark dealer. So in my case I;m SOL. Now I've got virtually a brand new mower that I'll have to try and get rid of , with no warranty .

If thats the way it has to be, so be it...but I'm not exaclty happy about the situation. It does not make sense to me that because the mower has a new owner, that both Kaw and Exmark are absolved from their warranty obligation. Its got maybe 20 hours on it....if that.

There is a way around this but its not ethical so I wont do it.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Why isnt it ethical to take the mower in yourself if it breaks? I would. The thing is, that most mowers never have a warranty thing break inside of the warranty.

8. GarPA

from PA

because when I trade it in for a non-Exmark machine, and that dealer then sells it to who knows who, I'm no longer the owner.

And you are right about things rarely breaking within the warranty period...but I know if I were buying this trade-in, I;d want some kind of warranty behind it