1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$ on Truck for start-up

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Qdriver, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Given the pros & cons of New vs Used, how much should a 1-2 man new operation spend on a truck?

The truck will be my only transportation. (for personal & business; I will sell my '93 mid-size 4dr sedan)

I want a 2-3yr old crew cab HD Diesel. Crew cab for future growth & diesel for fuel performance/low maintenance.

I know this choice will be best in the long run but, will this be too much financial load in the beginning.

I do not feel leasing is a good option in this business. (high miles and wear&tear)

Any advise?

PS. just a minor thing- should the slogan be ......lawn stand out

among the rest. or ....lawn stand out from the rest.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought an 03 in Jan. for right at $20K. 2003 Chevy 2500HD ext cab w/auto, ac, 4x2, it even has FM!

Buying a 2 or 3 year old truck for $25K+ to me seems kinda silly. Just my opinion.
  3. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Did I misstate that I was paying 25K for a 2-3yr old truck?

I am just trying to get an idea of how much truck I should think of buying.

It seems trucks are way overpriced. At least around here.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you know what you are looking for, then you can get away pretty cheap. JimLewis has started a thread about how he does his trucks...definately worth your time to search for it.

Do you really NEED a crew cab and deisel??? I will argue till im blue in the face that it is all overkill. If you go that route, you are wasting your profit. Some LCO owners let their testosterone get in the way of realizing that what they WANT and what they NEED are almost worlds apart.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been looking at crew cab diesels for a few months all im seeing at 25k have between 60-80k miles on them saw an 02xl for 25k with only 20000 miles im debating on that or 34000 for a lariat with 1700 miles im replacing my 95 f150 very soon its on its last leg
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

In Florida trucks seem to be way inflated. Went to Texas and bought a 94 GMC 6.5 diesel with 75000 on it for 4500 dollars. If you could find that truck here it would of been in the 8000 dollar range. Tell the truth kinda miss my Nissan 4 cly that my daughter is driving back and forth to school. Less insurance and a whole bunch easier to get into the tight subdivisions. How much truck do you really need?
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You want to argue with me, or should I stick four employees in a standard cab and struggle pulling our skid-steer up hill on the freeway at 75 MPH?

I'm certainly not wasting my profit, in fact I'm increasing it by having all employees to the job site with one vehicle. And getting them there without some turd of a gas motor getting 4 miles to the gallon AND lacking power.

I agree that a person needs to factor in THEIR particular needs. If you see, or plan growth in the near future, make a purchase once, not twice, as in outgrowing your truck in a short amount of time. Get what you need the first time.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

See your point Randy, but as stated alot of us seem to get caught up in the Tim Allen state of mind. If you ae just getting going with a crew of one or two unless you are doing installs or hauling large loads what would you need such a truck?
  9. MacLawnCo

in your application, i agree with your choice. But, for what the question was orriginally asked, you do not need any of that. I suggested already the thread JimLewis started about his redone trucks...imo, that is ideal for lawn maintenance. I believe he had $3500 total in a CLEAN, reliable late model pickup.
  10. MacLawnCo