? On Viking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by SpudsM15, Jun 20, 2003.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" Viking with a 15hp kohler on it.
    I'm very happy with the control system and ease of use.
    I have one problem can't seem to fix.
    The mower in wet and dry grass seems to be laying down the grass blades and not cutting everything and leaveing my lawns looking like carpets. I'm not asking for perfection but i see other machine making much cleaner cuts.

I've tried just about everything i can think about... Changing deck hieght, changeing the spacers in between the spindle(manual said 4 on the underside of the deck = highest quality) made sure belt is adjusted blades are sharp. changing the tire pressure to change the pitch of the deck nothing seems to make a differance.

It gets worse when i move faster i'm about to get a sulky and i am afraid of what the grass is gonna look like when i speed up.
    I was thinking dobules might make a differenance but everybody on here brags about the quality exmark delivers...(reason why i bought exmark).

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey SpudsM15,

Thanks for the post. Tell me how you currently have your Exmark set up. How many spacers do you have below the spindles and below the spindle? What axle position is your machine in (A-E; Pos. E is the lowest hole in engine deck and Pos. A is the highest)? Check the tire pressure in the rear tires. What is the tire pressure set at? When you're cutting, do you cut at full throttle? What speed is the transmission in? What type of blades do you have on your Exmark? How much grass are you trying to cut off at a time? What type of grass are you trying to cut? What is the serial number of this mower? Answer these questions when you get a chance, and we'll work from there.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. SpudsM15

OK, right now i have 4 spacers under the spindle( tried in every position) 4 on the bot seems to work the best.
    Axles are set on C I haven't touched that since i got the machine.
    Tire pressure is a 16psi
    I cut full trottle and all day, morning till about 5 or 6pm
    Most of the time I have it set on 3 1/2\4 since i am walking behind it. Sulky is in the mail hope that i can move at 6.
    I have stock exmark high lifts on it. When i put the mulch kit on quality went out the window(yes i had the mulching blades on).
    How much grass i am cutting: My lawns are cut weekly but its has been raining just about everyday!!!!! so i cut about 1" to a 1 1/2" off each week bagging everyweek.
    The front castors are set with one spacer on the bot 3 on top for a few select lawns 2 ontop 2 on bot.
    Best quality of cut seems to be on tall fescue then kentucky blue. lowest quality on perrenial rye.
    serial #:342204
    model#vh2115kcc

4. eXmark

SpudsM15,

Is there any reason why you are cutting those lawns so short? Here's how I figure it. If your axle is in position C, you have four spacers below the spindle, and you have two or three spacers above the caster, you're cutting the grass at around 2" to 2 1/8". If your customers fertilize and it's raining constantly like it is everywhere else in the East, this could be contributing to our problem. Rye grass is the worst in the Springtime because it retains so much moisture.

Here's what I would like you to try. Let's try and flatten it out a little bit. You've got a lot of pitch or rake in the deck. Try to put two or three spacers below the casters. This will bring the front of the deck up a bit and flatten things out a little.

Make sure that the blades are nice and sharp. You should be using our standard, notched air foil blades.

You might want to check your engine RPM's. Make sure that your engine is running at 3600 RPM.

It wouldn't hurt to double check your belt tension on the mower deck belt. If you pull the belt back a half inch, your belt tension indicator should read 10 lbs. This is with the PTO engaged, of course. Try these things, and if they don't help, we should probably have your dealer take a look at this. Let me know how things turn out, and don’t be afraid to ask if you have any questions.

Talk to you later,

Dustin

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dam! You Go Dustin.

6. SpudsM15

my mistake I am running the front castors with 3 rings on the bot and today i move the 4th on under since it was so wet.

I have noticed a major difference with the 4 spacers on the bot of the spindle. but it still seems to be missing blades of grass right in the middle of the cut.
    I guess i'm going to have to take it back to the dealer to check the rpms on the engine.

7. eXmark

SpudsM15,

If it's constantly missing strips of grass, something could be bent. If the deck is bent, it doesn't matter how we set this mower up. This is also something else for the dealer to check.

Your mower is pretty new, so I doubt that a bent deck is the problem, but it doesn't hurt to rule out the obvious things first and then move on to the more obscure. Let us know what happens here.

Talk to you later,

Dustin