once again the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newguymowing, Feb 15, 2008.

1. newguymowing

newguymowing LawnSite Member

welcome everyone as u can see im the new guy but my question is im looking to pick up about ten 1/3 to 1/2 acre yards per week as a side hustle but im goin to do evrything legit so will a residential 54 inch mower hold up for this peticularly the john deere 445 zero turn or do i break down and by a commercial mower im just trying to eliminate high over head starting out any help would be great thanks
  2. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

Obviously commercial equipment has that name for a reason. On top of that, zero turn commercial mowers carry a high price tag. If you're only talking 10 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots, Why not go with a hydro 48" wbehind of some sort? You can put the velki behind it and roll with an extremely versatile piece of equipment. Is it flat or hilly where you are? The On smaller residential lawns, the big mowers can start to form tire trenches...especially if they are sloped.
    But, if you feel froggy and have the cash...:weightlifter: Dive in!
  3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking at that few of yards that small, i would highly suggest starting with a hydro 36 walk behind with a sulky. The 36 will get through almost all gates and minimize your push mowing time, which really eats into your time. I bought a used snapper pro 36 with a new motor for 2800 and it has been a great mower. Alot of guys will say start with a belt drive wb, but the time saved with a hydro is well worth the extra cash up front in my opinion.
  4. newguymowing

newguymowing LawnSite Member

thank you im not to familiar with walk behinds but worth looking into so if i decide to go with a residential mower should i go with one of the commercial names or is john deere ok

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree...hydro walk-behind. 36 or 48 its your call.
  6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would check gate sized before I bought anything. Hate to see you drop some cash on a mower and the first place you roll up to you can only mow the front yard because you can't get thru the gate.
  7. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally steer away from the green machines. I have never ran one that i was impressed with. Usually red mowers do very well. These would be exmark, toro, snapper pro. These can be had reasonably priced used and make perfect start up machines. Best of luck to you.