1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

once every 28 days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaulk, Jan 5, 2005.

1. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

i have a commercial bid, and part of it requires about 5 acres worth 2 be cut every 28 days. gust wondering if anyone has done any thing like this, i feel that it has 2 be very hard on equipment and what would u use 2 cut it. the thought of using my 60 does not sound good , also what would it be worth .i know what i would charge if it was normal cut, but every 28 days not 2 sure or gust stay clear of this 1
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my opinion but the idea of basically only cutting once a month would to me be a huge pita. That if no obstacles I would consider it for around the $425 - $450 mark. The wear and tear on equipment will be substantial, really should probably be cut at least every two weeks. 5 acres @ $45 per based on twice a month (even though its once a month) extra for the pita factor. Sounds like something I wouldn't want to mess a lot with if its only once a month because of the wear & tear factor mainly, so I guess what I'm saying is I would bid it a tad high and let them take it or leave it.

No I don't have practical experience yet, this is just my 2 cents.

3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

You know what else comes every 28 days and that can cause a big problem too ;)
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL tell me about it I've got four daughters plus my wife, I will post pics of the shop I just signed contract to be built later on. Gonna have a bunk out there for my every 28 days!!

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You couldn't pay me enough to mow anything on a 28 day rotation.
    A) Way too hard on equipment
    B) Takes way too much time (unless billing T&M)
    C) People see your trucks mowing there and think "Man, that guy sucks!"
    D) Can you imagine that in the SPRING!!!!

Just not worth it IMHO! :dizzy:

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i thought that this thread was going to be about something else...and am a little dissapointed. lol
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a job that we do once a month...a Christmas tree farm. I do it by myself with one of our Toro 325D 4-wheel drive Groundsmasters (72" outfront deck). Only reason I do it is because I get $125 an hour, it's flat, and I can get the deck easily under the branches (absolutely no trimming) as I drive by.

BTW, it's about 9 acres and no one can see me or my truck and trailer.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have a small field beside my house that I mow once a month. I start out as low as I can for the first cut and gradually raise my blades each month. I can catch back up to the growth in the summer months and then start raising the blades again when the weather cools off. I use single blades on a mulch deck and can cut it pretty fast. Its about an acre +/-. I fertilize in the fall and early spring to help control growth and apply lime in the summer months. Not exactly the way I would do my lawn but it works for the field. The higher grass also stripes pretty good to.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray a growth regulator on it, figuring it into your bid. That should make it equal to around every 15 days if you werent spraying. Never tried it, but it sounded good when I thought it. LOL
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'd say to offer them a discount to cut it every 2 weeks. you lose a little bit of money but you save your equipment.