1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Once in a blue moon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfilbert, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Every once in awhile this happens and it still blows me away. Got a call for an estimate at a trailer park. Now I avoid trailer parks but this guy had gotten a hold of my busniess card and it was on my route so I stopped by after my regular day at about 6:00pm. He was an older guy and said he and wife wanted there place to look very nice and so on. You all know the drill.
    I gave a price and he said OK so I started to unload the mower. He said wait - I don't get paid till thursday. I thought about it and did something I've never done for a one cut deal. I said what the heck I'm here and it will only be getting taller and might as well do the job and stop back for payment. The man said he would really appreciate that so I did. Stopped back on thursday and was meet by wife and husband as I got out of the truck. She handed me a thank-you card and inside was a very nice note thanking me for trusting them and a very nice tip + payment. They now want weekly service and some extras like flower beds and mulching and landscaping etc. At a trailer park? Once in a blue moon.
    Tim :)

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Things like that Tim are what keep ya pluggin' week after week huh :D

3. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

tips are nice, but the last one I got ended up with them skipping out on a 320.00 month bill. :dizzy: :dizzy:

4. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Just goes to show you that there still are some honest and appreciative people out there!

5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes it pays to be nice to people. That's cool.

6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby would never approve.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Ya' gotta love nice people. Last week after I got done mowing the lady comes out and stops me before I leave. I am thinking "Oh GREAT what did I do wrong..." and she says " I just wanted to say thanks for doing such a great job every week, we really appreciate having you! I look forward to mondays when you come to cut the grass!"
    It doesn't seem like much, but man, it really made my day :)

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Reminds me of a time a got a call for work in a trailer park. At first I thought "you've got to be kidding," but ended up working out just fine.

9. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Those small pats on the back erase alot of days that nothing seems to go right. Deposit that good feeling in your memory bank , you may need to withdraw it at a later date !

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

One of my best is a mobile home... but in a normal private setting on acreage, not a park. Loyal, longstanding, on time, and spend a lot of money with me every year. So the place looks exceedingly remarkable.