Once said "I am glad that is not my account"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dawg, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

A few years ago I did a small landscape job for a assisted living home. This place has two inside courtyards that can only be reached from inside the buiding. As we were taking shrubs down the hall I said i'm glad we are not the ones mowing this every week. Well guess what. They called and wanted me to start doing the maintenance so I gave them a estament and they took it. I hope I do'nt regret this later. Also another new account is a mfg. plant. I got my contract signed and all their papers signed, but I have to go back with my employees to watch a safety video. This is a first for me. Anybody else had to watch a company's safety video?

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

On 2 jobs I bid for, I would have had to do the same if I won the bids. They are good information as it lets you know what you are working with, what to do incase of an emergency on their part, and stuff maybe you should stay away from with mowers, trimmers, etc. Well worth your time to watch. My opinion.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Only a rumor but i have also heard of a assisted living center in this area that has a court yard that has no outside access , you have to take a 21" and a line trimmer down a hall to get to it. To me this wasnt thought thru at all when it was built and really how safe is this on the cleanness side of things.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When I worked for TGLC we had the Sunrise assisted living contracts. they had a few courtyard areas that we had to walk through the building for. It was PITA but again the facility did not want to run the risk of any of the older patients getting outside the building and becoming lost.

5. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how profitable the job is, you could keep a construction type locking storage chest like Knaack makes out in the courtyard to keep a dedicated push mower in. The have a Jobmaster chest that is 23" high X 24" wide X 48" long that might house a push mower with the handle folded down.

This chest would not be any bigger than a small standby generator. You could also suggest to the place that they buy the chest and pay you to put some landscaping around it. Sell the benifits of not moving a grass laced mower down their clean halls.

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i do work for a local manufacturing plant here had it for three years and every year me and any employees have to watch an hour long saftey video.same if i put a new empoyee on throughout the year they have to watch it. but for the amount i get from them every year its worth it.anything that needs done under 2k in one month do it and it gets paid over 2k takes about 10-15 days to get the approval.

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Yikes, I don't know if I would like carrying eqipment through a hall like that. Bring a iPod for the video lol. JK could be important stuff.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I've got two assisted facilities set up with multiple inside courtyards. Just make sure you don't underbid. That being said, I wish I had several more.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

They do this so old folks can go outside but not get lost.