once,twice,so many times! sharpeners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr mow, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

im using a bench grinder was going to buy a good specialty one,but opted out cause of the feedback from the l.s. crew(lawnsite). anyways i saw something once before on here of not sharpening the backside of blade. why,what happens..and can someone give me a link on the fireball and rgb sites. magnamatic-just not sold on cost v.s. benefit. Thanks

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I try not to hit the back side but they get nicked up pretty bad sometimes and I will hit the back. I took mine to a dealer to get sharpened (this guy has been doing it forever) and he hits the back some to get an edge. I can't tell any difference. If there are any drawbacks they are not major. Worst you could do is ruin a blade. I'm sure there are many that will disagree but my mower does fine. Many on Lawnsite keep a knife edge at all times.

3. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

im talking very slightly,cause if you look at the blade from the underside after sharpening the top side, there is slight lip and i have noticed if cruise down it with a very perpenticular angle, it seems alot sharper. Am i creating more possiblities of nicks on leading edge or not(im talking one quick swipe on back side, barely an angle?)