One Bad Yellow Jacket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I lowered my arm down on the armrest today and got a nasty surprise! I squished a Yellow Jacket. I got nailed right in the middle of the right forearm. No viscious stinging activity like you sometimes get from them. A quick little sting, no big deal right???

I'll tell ya what, I'd like to know what that badboy ate for breakfast! I kept on kicking it. But by nightfall I could hardly drive myself home because I could barely change gears! By the time I got home I had a Popeye arm and it was as red as bad sunburn! It was fevering and stinging like crazy. It BURNS like I laid it on a hot muffler and it feels like it's splitting apart!!! My wife wanted to take me to the hospital.

I took some advil and I figured it might not be a bad idea to take a benadryl. It's been probably 7 hours now and I've only found one thing that releaves it a bit. I put some rubbing alcohol in the freezer and let it get real cold. Then I took it out and soaked some gause in it. I put it on an ice pack and lay my arm on it. I'm finally able to move my hand again now.

But still I'm asking myself WTF?????
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that's lame.. Did you make sure you got the stinger out? If it was broke off in you that may be why it's so bad.. BTW, even if you weren't previously, you may be allergic. I sure hope not.. God bless you, and I hope you have aspeedy recovery.
  3. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Envy I think its something in the water around here cause thats how my past two stings were. I feel your pain 4 real.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The sting is where I can't see it well. My wife tried to look for me and didn't see anything. It doesn't feel like the stinger is in me. I've had that happen plenty of times with the.

Maybe I am allergic all the sudden??? :confused:
  5. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Well thast what I have been asking myself. I know for sure my last sting that I got the stinger out, but my arm kept getting bigger and hurting like hell to where I couldn't even sleep. I finally put an icepack on it and fell asleep and the sweelling slacked off later on the next day.
  6. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I cant stand getting stung. My worst experience was one time we were filling up deer feeders and I was balancing on the back of a truck bed so i could reach the top of the feeder carrying an 80 pound bag of corn and BAM. It got me on the inside of my middle finger. I didnt drop the bag and I finished. Hour later still in the middle of the woods and finger grew twice as big and couldnt bend it. The throbbing was the worst.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations, it sounds like you now experience anaphylactic shock when stung by a bee, wasp (which is what a yellow jacket is) or hornet.

A person who has never experienced it can suddenly, with one sting, get it even though they may have been stung plenty of times before.

It is highly recommended that you see an allergist so you can be prepared the next time you are stung.

It will not magically go away and you are again immune. The next sting will probably have the same reaction or worse.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Not neccessarily so.
    I had a sting a few years ago, on the left wrist, looked like the little yellow devil got me on the vein. I'd never had any bad reaction before, the sting disapears in a short time. But, this time, in just a little while, my watch is too tight. I'd just moved to TN, and was thinking, these buggers around here are potent! Soon after, it's swelled from my elbow to my fat puffy fingers.
    Nowadays, I get stung, and my immune system kicks it's arse, as it did before, and though it hurts at first, I get no signifigant swelling, and after a few days of itchyness, it goes away. Although I didn't get stung at all last year, I've gotten two so far this season. Just part of the job, like thorns and dirty socks.
    It may be a good idea to follow Richard Martin's advise and see an allergist, don't follow my medical advice, as I would generally recomend a bartender before a doctor.
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Some wasps and yellow jackets pack a more powerful punch than some other species. I've been stung so many times over the years that I don't even give it a second thought anymore. But a few weeks back I got it from a yellow jacket on the calf of my right leg. It felt like I had been shot!! Man that sucker hit me good. I went to my knees and stayed there for a couple of minutes before I could stand up. It burned like he// for 4 or 5 hours then the pain started to ease up, but that spot was very tender for 2 or 3 days after that. The funny thing is there was no visible sting mark or stinger left behind.

I've been told that some species carry more venom than others and that's why some of those stings are so painful.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah it sounds like you had an allergic reaction to the sting. Having been an EMT for many years I don't believe though that you actually experienced true anaphylactic shock as that in itself is a very dangerous emergency medical situation and can be very deadly. If you did/are experiencing it then you should have some difficultily breathing and more than likely some swelling of the throat or maybe even the tongue. If you do experience those thing go to an ER at once. Also though has Richard said you do want to get checked anyway for sure for the future as anaphylactic shock can kill you should you go into it.