One Branch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lafrance4078, Oct 30, 2004.

1. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I really over bid this job. Customer wanted a limb removed that had fallen due to wind damage. I bid her 100.00 to remove it which included the haul fee. It only to me 45 min to complete the job and another 20 min to haul it off and dump at the greenwaste recyclying facility. Guess I made some ok money for 1 hour of work. The picture is what i cut up from one branch. Big branch!

matttree.jpg

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what was the dumping fee?

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

For that amount of brush, I don't think it was overbid.As Bobby said, what was the dump fee, b/c you may have underbid...

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like that is a free dump site. $100/hour is too cheap now? Whats the going rate in WV?

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$100 an hour, may be too cheap. it depends on the number of hours. if i prune a tree, it takes 2 hrs, and i make $200, that sounds good. but, how many hours a week can i get, at the rate of that $100 an hour? if it's only two, i'm in big trouble. now, if i can charge $40 an hour, and secure 40 hrs a week at this rate, i'm doin ok. a load like that would cost me $70 to get rid of. i couldn't do the job for $100

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

$ 100.00 sounds good until you consider your time, truck, gas, ins., taxes,dump fees(if applicable)..etc..I would have charged at least $ 150.00. It's just not worth servicing the saws for anything less, much less a 20 min. drive to get rid of it. If you felt you made an honest profit for the 65 minutes, that's all that matters, not what I or anyone else thinks or says.Now, if you could only line up 25 jobs like that each week!! :drinkup:

7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

looks more like a small tree to me. dumping down here is $2.50 per every 100 pounds of material. $100 is o.k. i guess. like the others said what was your dump fee?

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm.... gotta love the fact that I own 16 acres. No dumping fees. I suppose though, since my customers don't know I don't have any dumping fees, that I should still charge them, huh Bobby??

9. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

boy that must be real nice. what do you have a chipper you shred it up with or let it rot in the back corner?

10. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

My standard hourly rate is 45.00. This is used most of the time, becuase I work solo usually. The place where I dump usually charges me 20.00 to dump. They do have scales, but they look at my truck and trailer and I guess they think "how much can he reeaally have in that thing. They never make me stop to weigh, just wave me threw. I feel like I made a pretty good profit on this job. The job was at one of my great weekly mowing customers home. She wants full service all the time. Hedges, planting, mulch, mow, ferts (which we contract with True Green for) I was happy to do it.