One fitting, one tool, for all winterizing jobs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Irrigation winterizations: the only standard in the industry is that there are no standards.

I don’t know about you guys, but I spend a lot of time having to switch from adapter to another, or from one fitting to another before ever getting to start the compressor at a jobsite. Needless to say this is getting pretty old. When efficiency depends upon time management, this is beginning to have an effect upon getting things done in a timely manner.

I wonder… Is there some type of universal fitting that collapses or expands to connect or attach onto ½” to 1” or greater MPT risers? How about some type of large box wrench type of tool that could be used on various sizes of threaded caps? And wouldn’t it be nice if this tool could unscrew the cap while at the same time hold the stub (riser) secure?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If only everyone installed a nice quick connect :)

I remember Rainbird made a quick connect valve for winterizations, I see it every now and then here.

I carry a pair of channel locks with me, they work for most things.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I always figured a hose bib was an ideal winterizing connector. You could even do bigger systems with a garden hose adapter in a ball valve. Customers too cheap to spring for an upgrade from that plug or cap might be more trouble than they're worth.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you could "require" a certain type connection, i.e. the hose bibb with standard 3/4" MHT on it? Figure the cost of the hose bibb and add it onto the winterization price. If the customer stays with you then it's already in place for the next winter.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking that a few of those Dawn KwikRepair threaded tees with a hose bib threaded in would be a great thing to carry on the truck, I'd keep 1" and 1.25" ones. Then all you would do is dig up 10" or so of the mainline, snap that puppy in there, and backfill it in a 6" round valvebox.

Charge the customer for "updateing their system for winterization next year" and your set.

Should only take 10 minutes or so.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I thought about it, but I also thought about a brass boiler drain threaded into a PVC tee, and what could happen if a hose attached to it got pulled too hard, and who would get blamed for it. If there is some repair work needed in the above-ground plumbing, I usually manage to get one in.

7. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

95% of our jobs have the hose bib installed so our main fitting takes care of most. Others we will blow out through the backflow if possible or they have to pay to have us install a decent blowout point.

John:waving:

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, there you go. 99% of the systems out here do not use hose bibs. It is very typical to just have a capped schedule 80 riser screwed through a couple of ells into a Tee after the backflow. Generally this stub is in the same box as the double check. I do run into some quick connects.

Jon, I also carry duct tape that works for most things.

9. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Hose bibbs used to be popular but with codes changing you have to put that little anit syphen (sp?) on it now so nothing can flow back in. Keep in mind that most of ours are before the backflows. I usually approach a home with 3 things a screw driver, channel locks and all of my fittings are threaded into each other and just take off whatever is need for the home. Last week I got back into the truck without remembering the screwdriver was still in my back pocket and stabbed the seat pretty good.

10. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Which seat??:D