One guy nearly as fast as 2 ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have been working solo for the past 2 weeks. Yesterday and today I noticed something. There is only about a 20 minute difference between me and a helper and me by myself. I actually kept track yesterday and it was exactly a 20 minute difference to do the route.....and I stopped and did 2 estimates. It seemed like the help that I was using was doing a fine job, guess I was wrong. AND, I think the properties look better when I do it all. So, more money in my pocket and a higher quality cut. Think I might stay solo for a while.
    Does anyone have any insight as to why this is the case?

2. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

When the owner dose it all him self it always looks better ALWAYS...
    but if you have a efficent worker and a good system set up then it should take close to twice as long per lawn.
    you have to think like this if you only have 20-60 lawns you can do um by your self comfortable.
    but if you have more than that you might need help. with help say you cut 4 lawns in a hour thats 100per hour then say 10 for the worker!
    by your self you make 50 bucks a hour say. So if your on a time scedual a worker is more efficent but if you have a extra few days cut by yourself and only hire when the rains comming

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I suggest you do averages and not just clock 1 day, and say oh well not any faster. I couldn't disagree more.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say something is definately wrong then.

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I found the same thing years ago. A normal day to complete by myself would take about 2 hours longer. You have to keep in mind with that, that custmers were /are more likly to stop you to talk, it helps the customer relationship & extra add ons.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

????? You couldn't disagree more with what? I know that 2 guys is supposed to be faster. But in my case it isn't all that true and I am wondering why. I could do averages all year long and I assure you it will be the same result. Apparently the guys that I had working were not as fast as they should be. I now have and idea of how fast they need to be, so in the future I can address the issue.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

it should not be the case. when i first started. i was doing everything by myself....when I started to grow and picked up a helper. one of us would mow and blow, while the other trimmed and edged....

we would switch off who rides every few lawns that way one person was not stuck walking or riding all day...

I was not nearly as tired at the end of the day by halving a helper. you have ot remember by having a helper gives you the ability to get other things done, IE oil changes, billing, trip to the bank, ect, while the helper works...

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I get more done doing it solo but I'm tired at the end of the day

9. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

when you pull up to a job you have to fall out of the truck RIGHT THEN. you dont realise that EVERY MINUTE COUNTS. it MUST be like CLOCK WORK. when you get out of the truck be aggressive in getting done with your job. they need to eat between jobs if possible drink between jobs. when you step out of the truck its PURE BUISNESS. drive as fast as you can. your worker needs to know that if at all possible he needs to be done with weedeating and if possible blowing too by the time your done mowing. tell him to go around the driveway and house FIRST so that if he isnt done weedeating by the time your done mowing YOU can blow off and be done by the time he is. NEVER take a tool away from a man when hes working with it EVER. FROM DAY 1 AND I MEAN DAY 1 !!!! you HAVE to set a good example. let him know this aint no cartoon! if you walk comfortably back to the trailer then he will too. EVERY MINUTE !! counts. if you even step out of the truck and stand there listening to something hes still talking about when he was going down the road then YOU screwed up. the worker HAS to be trained by YOU. before you do anything ask yourself, am i going to spoil him when i do this? is he gonna want me to do this all the time? if you be defensive in your thinking toward them and try to pretend in your mind that he is looking for everyway to slow you down and try to get you to do part of his work then you can see things to prevent it. when they go back to the truck to get a drink its not time to stand around after you done guzzled down a whole bottle of tea or gatorade. its time to get a drink then go back to work. also if you dont do these things from the VERY BEGINNING you have already spoiled them and its almost impossible to get them to do right from then on. perfect example from THE START or your screwed. about the only thing there is to do with the ones that are done spoiled is to get rid of them and find someone else. ive also seen alot of people walk around every house 2,3 and sometimes 4 times to get everything weedeated:nono: thats ********. tell them what you do to make good time and hope that they will do the same. the things that they need to be thinking of you is that ... your a cool guy in the truck, but AS SOON as you turn the key off you hop out and BUST ACE cuz you ARE the man in charge and you aint friends no more they gotta do there work and get to it NOW! you had plenty of time to talk in the truck and its BUST ACE TIME! so grab a trimmer take off running and dont look up unless you get the feeling your gonna have a heat stroke and pass out infront of me where i cant stop in time. your workers will ONLY work as hard as you do IF that. parts may sound kinda cruel or not worth doing but its a fact. do exactly what i said and youll see that every minute counts. get fuel and drinks the night before. start AT DAYLIGHT and just do the small yards first so you can take a blower and bust the clumps out and move on. all these things are very essential i beileve to having a good employee. there are lots more things but i cant just sit here and think of all of them. good luck bud wish ya the best:weightlifter:

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree to the above post to a point, but... Do not drive as fast as you can.
    You need to be safe on the road with all that weight behind you, and an accident or a ticket is going to cost you a lot more time than driving in a safe manner. Also, by doing that you are setting an example for your employee. What happens when you finally trust him by himself with the truck, and he totals it, injures himself or another, and says "This is how the owner of the company asked me to drive".