one handed steering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Feb 17, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

just wondering who can operate with one hand on the steering levers of a ztr ?,and what kind of mower do you have?can you do it along a fence?

i have dane chariot and i cant hold a straight line long
    let alone try it along a fence

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

rdh,

I used to do it on my Dixie and now I do it on my Lazer. Takes practice. Don't do to many fence lines, but if all your doing is weaving in and out, then its easy. Its when you want to do a zero turn around that you need two hands.

3. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I use a trimmer on the fence line first. It is not worth the chance of hitting something. And I do belive that I cut a closer cut. In open areas I use two hands also. One to drive and one to hold my coffee with.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I only use one hand except for turns, including along fences or brich buildings. I can turn using one hand,but it is easier with two hands. :)

This frees up the other hand for the OCDC or throttle.
    As a few of you might know, I use Dixie Choppers. :)

5. rdh

i had asked a??'s on one of my post about why 90% of walker owner are using one hand on steering and one on the gas.
    i was told it was a cruise control.very nice feature .on some pictures they are trimming with one hand .
    i think with cruise control you can let go of steering so it ruturns to center and if you need to go to left or right
    a little just bump a streering handle.
    maybe they should start putting cruise on all ztr's.

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

RDH i can use one hand pretty easily to operate my chariot. As far as i know the dane and walfer are the only two that have the levers between the legs. Its very nice and very easy to do with one hand although i wouldnt trust myself at 8-10 mph along a fenceline. =)

7. rdh

for some reason mine is to stiff to use one handed, and they
    dont even return to center if i let go, i have to move them to center to stop. are yours like this or ,do i need to get it looked at . its been that way since new, can you let go of controlls and come to a stop mine will just keep going and never stop.

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Walkers work best if you use one handed steering.

9. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

It's doable; it just takes practice.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm right-handed, but I drive my Grasshopper with my left hand. On hard turns I use both hands. Anymore it doesn't feel right with 2 hands on the steering levers.