One Helluva Trimmer Stihl Fs250

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLIMDAWG1, Jul 31, 2002.

1. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHO ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW STRING TRIMMER TRY THE STIHL FS250. I BOUGHT THIS THING BUY LUCK.I WAS LOOKING FOR A 30 SOMETHING CC STIHL TRIMMER.THE DEALER WAS OUT OF THE 120 AND I GOT THE 250 FOR THE SAME PRICE.THIS TRIMMER IS HEAVIER THAN MOST,BUT IT DOES NOT FATIGUE ME.IT IS WELL BALANCED AND IS ONLY HEAVY WHEN YOU PICK IT UP.THE DAMN THING IS SO STRONG AND I LOVE IT. IT CAME WITH 95 STRING AND I RUN IT WITH 105.THIS THING WILL TAKE DOWN ANY GRASS WITHOUT A PROBLEM.IT COMES WITH A STRAP BUT I HAVEN'T NEEDED IT.IF I KNEW IT WASTHIS GOOD AND POWERFUL I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT A LONG TIME AGO.I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SOME OF THE OTHERS,SHIND.,REDMAX,OR THE OTHERS BUT IF IT BEATS THIS IT'S ONE HELL OF A TRIMMER.MY BEST TRIMMER YET AND YOURS TOO IF YOU GO BUY ONE.SPEND THAT EXTRA CHANGE AND YOU WONT REGRET IT.

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hello yeah I just bought my second FS 120 its not as big as the 250 but gosh I couldnt imagine needing a bigger one how much did you get it for I got my 120 for 369.00 I love it though I run 105 string and it works great. I use to live in columbus went to Hardaway high I graduated in 1990 I lived when you got off exit 5 and went all the way down turn right off exit 5 coming north I lived on Macon rd I cant remember the name of the development I do miss down south though take care!:blob1:

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Accidental double post

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have many Stihl trimmers but my biggest is the FS200R. This unit has the same power as the FS250, and FS250R, but weights less. I always try to buy items with the highest power to weight ratio.
    Here are the specs right from the Stihl catalogue.

FS120 1.75HP 13.2lbs

FS120R 1.75HP 12.8lbs

FS200 2.15HP 13.2lbs

FS200R 2.15HP 12.8lbs

FS250 2.15HP 13.4lbs

FS250R 2.15HP 13.0lbs

I bought my FS200R for thick tall weeds and brush cutting. I dont think this much power is needed for average grass trimming that a normal LCO encounters.

Jim

5. SLIMDAWG1

Man it's good to have that power though.

6. SLIMDAWG1

I got mine for 399 plus tax with a free brush kit and blade.

7. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I bought an fs250 this spring when my fs 85 was broken ( I fixed it). I paid $430 for it, but it was fresh on the market then, I'm happy with the price.

The trimmer is a beast. I use it to take out ivy, roots and all with the 3 point blade. I have the bike bars and they are nice, but the stock harness sucks. I'm eithier going to jury rig the throttle onto the end of a home made jbar handle, or actually buy the loop handle.

the bike handle is good for brush clearring and ivy work, (when the blade kicks back, the bars stop it from getting at your feet, its also good for tilling, but for regular trimming they suck, you can't angle the head and put it in the places you want to, much more total body movement needed. I imagine the bike bars will be good for the broom attacment

A loop handle is good for regular trimming, hedge trimming, and the chainsaw attachment.

8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Can you put the various attachments on the 250, such as a stick edger??