One last question before I buy my next ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Espacesverts, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

My choice is now done and I will sign my new mower maybe tomorrow or tuesday. I know exactly wich mower mower I want. It will be my second ztr with this dealer. My only problem is the engine! I have to choose between the 30hp kohler or the 27 kohler. Wich one I should get?? 30 hp would be the best for my need but I'm not sure about this engine...27hp is very good from what I have heard but I'm not sure if it will be enough.. Help me! It will be a 60"deck on this mower.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im not sure if either or just one may be fuel injected but find it hard to believe 3hp is going to make much of a difference. to think not long ago they were putting 23hp's on bobcats with 61" decks and they did ok. my 25hp kawi with a 61" deck is plenty. the 33hp is overkill and only got it for the newer mower upgrades like larger pumps, fuel tanks, caster wheels, etc.

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 61" Bobcat with a 23 hp and it does fine, unless the grass is really tall and wet. I also have a 61" 27hp and it does great, never slows down at all unless you are bushhogging. In my opinion the 27 is a plenty for the mower you are buying.

4. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

Ok thanks everyone!

5. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered a Toro Z Master 52" with the 30hp Kohler. It will be here Friday or Monday. I can't wait to be done with this Toro Z Master 44" with 18hp Kohler.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with this comment, 3 HP is not an issue so don't worry about it !!!

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Good Lord man, lol. Thats like owning a Chevy Cavalier with a Cummins Turbo Diesel.lol:laugh:

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a couple of 27 Kohlers on 61" Z's and they do just fine.

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

30 Hp Running a 52" Deck Is too much motor .

10. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have two 60" Lazers, both with the 27 hp Kohler. Great mowers, I have mowed grass that was literally knee high before without bogging it down. To me a Kohler engine is the only way to go, 27 hp is plenty of motor.