One last weed - What is it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gabby, May 7, 2007.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I am having trouble identifying this one last weed. Anyone know what it is (see pics) ? It has small whitish purplish blueish flowers on it? The lawn is a northeast lawn with bluegrass, rye and fescue. What can I use to kill them without killing the lawn? I have used the Bayer weed killer for lawns and it has killed all the weeds except this one. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like speedwell. Try using a little dish soap w/ your next spray. 2-4 D should work fine.
  3. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by 2-4 D? Thanks.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Shades: I think corn speedwell has more of a heart shape. This may be common chickweed.[/url]
    Classic Trimec or most 2,4-D, 3 way(as above post) will get it. It's everywhere
  5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Corn Speedwell, most 3 way products will get control on , but need to spray with fine droplet (fan tip) application for best control as large droplets will not stay on leaf tissue. 2,4-D is a component in your three way compounds, the most common weed control component for years. Not trying to be a prick, but be sure to take some time to know your weed control products. Best to hit it while still in bloom, once this annual goes to seed the plant will die and the seeding for the next yr is already done, usually a shot window for control. Good Luck!
  6. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Grassguys Right, looks like Corn Speedwell to me.
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i'd agree that it is speedwell which can be more difficult to control than other weeds and a liquid (with fine spray as mentioned) is much better than a granular control product (I'm guessing your bayer product was granular?) not unussual to have to apply control a couple of times about 10-14 days apart for speedwells

nice pictures by the way
  8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Look how the leaves have a light fuzz on them. Def. not chickweed ( my arch enemy)
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Me too. Speedwell for sure - growing in improved cultivars of Kentucky bluegrass. (you can actually see a couple of their light blue flowers).

Good advice above from members regarding control. Fine mist is better if it provides good coverage. Amines will knock it out by using good technique, but esters will knock it out nomatter what.

2-4 D is the most common ingredient of most common 3-way or 2-way herbicides. Check the label to see.

Also, spraying when it's warm & humid works really great! Of course that's not always possible. We prefer using 2-4 D plis Trichlopir (Chaser).
  10. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member