One Man Operation-Tractor or Lawn?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by LarryR, Feb 4, 2008.

1. LarryR

LarryR LawnSite Member

I've been entertaining the thought of tractor mowing, and/or lawn mowing and maybe dirt work but I would be a one man operation. My questions are these:
    1. Which one cash flows better? How much on an annual basis?
    2. If lawnmowing, do you weed, trim, and bag the grass or just cut it?

LarryR

2. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Are you talking about lawn tractor mowing or tractor tractor mowing big difference there?

3. LarryR

LarryR LawnSite Member

Tractor tractor for large acreage and zero turn riding mowers for small yards.

4. LarryR

LarryR LawnSite Member

Tractor tractor for large acreage and zero turn riding mowers for smaller yards.

5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

get rid of the tractor. buy a 60" zero turn with no less than 30hp like a 797 john deere and it will mow fields and lawns both. plus will make u fast money. buy a straight shaft john deere trimmer and look up www.betterheadsllc.com for a trimmer head to fit trimmer. believe me you need this head. buy the string from them, buy a 21" push mower nothing fancy your not going to use it much. buy a small 6.5'X 16' trailer can be pulled with small pick-up. gives you room to grow. have someone call your competition for there prices. make up cool logo and company name.
    buy 10 yard signs move them around a lot. people will think your real busy and must be doing something right. don't advertise in newspapers. don't bag, now after the first year after you make a ton of money find someone starting their business and give them a helping hand. like i did

6. LarryR

LarryR LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good plan.

7. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

If you can't keep the big tractor running five days a week at least 8 hours a day during mowing season then it is not worth it.