1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One man operation?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mobileboy, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

Any profitable one-man operations out there? I'd love to hear stories if any of you guys go it alone. How well can a one-man crew do? (really). What if your main focus is small landscaping jobs? How many small (<.25 acre) yards can you complete in one 9 hour day, etc. Thanks!

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

well if you are a landscaper or a mower head it makes a differece, if you charge $ 35 per hour per man, and you have a helper that you pay $ 12 you would make $ 70 - 12 =$ 58 per hour ....
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It would be more like $54 net per hour if you also deduct equipment use, fuel and mileage and thats only if your paying him cash. If your taking out taxes, workers comp and unemployment your net will be much lower per hour.
  4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

By myself, I can do upwards of 12 lawns in 7 or 8 hours - but some of mine are quite large - more like 1/3 to 1/2 an acre per. I charge $30 - $40/hour on landscaping jobs, but I make more like $50 an hour doing maintenence.
  5. Grott

Grott LawnSite Member
    from MI

Didn't he ask about "ONE MAN" operations?
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes he did and I was only replying the the second post.
  7. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

i am a one man operation. i work a full time job from 7 to 3 and take care of 30 lawns from 3:30 to 7:00 monday thru friday. i have jobs ranging from a small 25.00 lawns to 140.00 ten acre job. i started out with about 800.00 in used equipment and now i have about 15000.00 in equipment and bust my @!#$% every day. love it the extra money is great. i have some expensive hobby's
  8. yardtamer

yardtamer LawnSite Member

I am a one man show. I pride myself on the work I do. It doesn't matter how long it takes to do a property as long as you leave it looking great. I have many accounts that I got do to the fact that I will be there everytime. Some people don't want 3 or 4 guys racing through their yard just to make a buck... they want personalized service. I'm not putting anyone down ... I'm just saying there is a market for one man operations...
  9. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

You guys are full of good info! Just the stuff i was looking for! I am a one man show and am debating on getting more serious (part time in the venings for me now). I have a great 7-4 job, so if I really go at it, the income would have to be more than my current pay. I have many customers, most want my help with landscape projects; only 4-6 lawn maint. jobs. I do 2 HOA's. They are my sweet jobs. Thanks again for the great info.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What does HOA stand for? Also, why I'm at it, what does LCO stand for? Yeah they sure sound like dumb question's.