One man operations and trailer sizes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fivestarlawnken, Aug 22, 2001.

1. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

The wife gave me the okay for a new trailer next year.Just wondering on average size for the one man teams out there! I'm looking at 6X12,dual axle,single gate,pintle hitch set up. P.S. wife is C.E.O(heheheh);)

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

What equipment are you currently using? what equqiqpment will you purchase in the short future? (1-3 years)

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that for a Solo operator a 6x12 would be sufficient.

I would rather have a 14' myself. This way you can haul a 60"wb/48"wb/ and a 36"wb. I would also make the investment for Trimmer/BP racks if you have not already done so.

However, you might seriously consider the 16' if you plan to haul tractors periodically with implements.

If you are not able to get the split-gates you would be wise to purchase a gatelift spring set-up to save your back! Eric ELM has a link at his sight on how he fabricated his own. ;)

Just my .02
    Kris

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am solo and run a 16' Tandem trailer. I haul a 60" Lazer & 52" Metro. It is still tight when I add the Trac-Vac on the Lazer.

Plus being solo I add small jobs in as I mow (Like a yd or two of mulch or shovels, Wheel barrels, Ect.) So I could actually use a bigger one.

You WILL find things to fill up the trailer so I would suggest buying a trailer Larger than you think you need.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Obviously it's gonna totally depend on what kind of equipment you have now and what you think you might have in the next year or two.

Then once you have that size figured, then get the next size up!;)

I use a 5'x10' now, but would like to get a 6'x12' next year.

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

Go bigger. You will be glad down the road as your company grows.

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm solo and have a 6 1/2' x 16' tandem trailer and wish I had a 18 or 20 footer. I agree with the see which one you want and buy the next bigger one. They only cost around $100 more for a couple more feet. The only consideration is if you have a small truck (under 1/2 ton).

8. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Quick info guys thanks.For next 2-4 years i plan on keeping small, i would love to get a pto tractor implents but thats a whole new beast.So the plan is keep my 48 wb,sulky,cage for the main floor space on my trailer.When i get the new trailer i will fabricate gate helpers(helped with one at work). The only thing I may purchase is good used 32 or 36 in the future.

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Im solo and use a 16ft tandom,i haul a 62"Z master 52" Walkbehind, Billygoat vac, two 21s. I also have a 14ft for mulching,leafs,planting and fert. Seems like you always need a little extra room and the price range is not that much more for the bigger trailer. Marks Mowing Service

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the answer is clear. it's a 16 foot tandem axle with brakes.

in my area there is no difference in a tandem 12 foot and a tandem 16 fot trailer. or for that matter a 14 foot.

the reason is that the steel comes in 16 foot lengths. you get no rebate for them to have to cut the steel shorter.

a 16 foot tandem W/O brakes can be had here for $750, new.

add $100 for brakes.

GEO