One Man Operations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by komalley, Aug 23, 2001.

1. komalley

komalley LawnSite Member

Hey I was just wondering how many peoplehere only run one person operations, is it worth it or to time consuming and tiring?

2. It all depends on what you want to do in your life, and what you want to do with your life right now. If you want to be large, and do lots of revenue each year then the only way to go is with crews of employees. Now on the other hand if you only need to survive then you can do it on your own. Like I said, its all about what you need to live, and what you are comfortable with. Plenty of money in a 1 man show. However 1 man shows do have more risks, and cannot do certain types of work. On the other hand there are certain things that a large company cannot do that a small company can do. Its a trade off.

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoy it, but plan to add a helper when I get the proper amount of accounts. If it's just me I get all the money and all the blame. Have not twisted an ankle (come close), or passed out. Having come off of ten years sitting at a desk , I don't mind this kind of tired. Nothing is worse that having a mind that will not 'shut off' and a body that is not phyisically tired.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Okay I'll bite. What the Hell does this statement mean?!?!?!?!? :confused:

If you are not large enough to perform all the work necessary to keep yourself a One-Stop-Shop then you will need to find reliable sub-contractors to keep your clientele happy, and keep the competition off your properties at the same time.

If you are a larger firm there is nothing that a smaller outfit can offer clients that we cannot. The question comes down to can they afford us? If the answer is no, they will search to find a cheaper price. Its not that we cannot perform tasks offered by solo-operators or smaller organizations than ours.

Kris

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I run the one man operation and it is also part-time.I have no problems, i just pace myself.I still provide the best work possible to every customer.One advantage I see to being small, is i can do the little things that big just sometimes dont have time for.If your new to lawn and landscaping make sure you want to do this first,(no offense to anyone).Also I'm the boss and if I mess up it's my falut.:cool:

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

One man operations can mean more profit, or less, depending on your mindset.

I'm a one-man show right now and I wish that I had enough accounts to have a quality helper with me. I'm the type of person that loves to be out front, but I need a litte 'friendly competition,' if you will, to keep me in the quality.

If you're the kind of person that loves repetitious, predictable work, knowing exactly what you'll be doing for the next X amount of months, and where, then I'd say that a one-man LCO is for you.

7. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I was a one man operation for quite a while. I hired a helper a few months back. I am doing this part time. I like being a small company right now, but plan on expanding in the next few years. I am in no rush to do so right now. We have plenty of yards to handle at the moment and yes I do get tired at times, but I feel it is worth it. I like the profit I make and also like looking at a job well done. ;)

8. Sorry about the confusion Kris, I will clear that up for you. If you are a solo operator, if you get hurt, the business doesnt do any work, unless you hire employees. At which time you are no longer a solo operator. Also what i meant by this is, lets say you have to get a machine for a day to move and spread mulch, or to move larger plants around. Is that something you would go and hire a sub for. Or is it something you would hire a day laborer for. If you do get a day laborer, how does the word solo fit in anymore? And what i meant about the larger businesses was not that they cant do the work. I was referring to a personal touch with the customers. There are only so many names, and faces that one person can remember. There are only so many hours in one day. So I guess what I meant was the individual attention, not the work itself, but knowing the customers, and their properties, every aspect of the work being done.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I see what direction you are heading now. :)

Yes, it is true that the larger most LCOs get the smaller the personalized attention to each client gets. Thats why to me its important that if you are going to expand that you run 2 or more crews and this way you can keep on top of things.

I enjoy the mowing end of the biz so I will rotate amongst the crews. This allows me to guarantee that the properties are being kepot up to my expectations, and it also keeps the monotany and boredom from setting in with the guys too.

Personal attention is one of the most important things we can keep on top of in this biz. I like to keep things very personal with clients too. We send out Holiday Greeting Cards hand-signed by all the guys, send out newsletters, keep track of Anniversaries and send out Gift Certificates for their dinners etc.

Kris

10. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

One advantage I have seen in a one man operation, or a one crew operation, is in advertizing that the "Boss" will always be on the job. I have heard many complaints from customers that start with a small LCO and get good service, but as the company grows, many times the quality suffers because the employees don't care like the owner does.