1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One man operations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Dec 31, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

How many of you are one man operations? I am looking to start this year doing it part time. I am a teacher and a coach. I am looking to just mow and trim 10 or less yards from April until around Sep/Oct. I have a 737 JD, Stihl fs 80 trimmer and a 16x6.5 trailer I got for $500. Everything is paid off. Now I just need some customers. Anyone else do yards as part time? Any advice would be great. (I know, should have got the customers first.)
  2. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

do it! its great and easy part time $. i started alone, built it to full time with workers. where your a teacher you can get out of work early enough to do three of four lawns in a day. my advice, take care of the customers you get by always doing a good job on the maintenance and you'll have them as long as you want them, i've been cuttin some of the same houses for 10 years now. its easy part time money with many benifits (independence,outside work, and the ability to grow at your own pace.) good luck
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You wont have any problems getting 10 customers...you'll have more trouble saying no to all the people who'll want you to do their yard too! Mowing season for us Okies starts around spring break...you'll be mowing fescue, henbit weeds, and scalping bermuda...then it goes til about halloween..
    Im a firefighter and mow on my days off..its a great part time job.
    Lots of good info on here for guys just starting up.
    Good Luck!
  4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

I started out parttime 3 years ago. I was getting ready to retire from my fulltime job and wanted to supplement my income doing something I enjoyed. I already had the equipment to start like you which was a big plus. I ran an ad in the local paper for 2 months the first year, everything since has been referals. Went fulltime last year and ended up working 6 days a week while turning away work. If I can help feel free to PM me.
  5. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

If you're going to do it, remember its something you have to commit to weekely or regularly, depending on the lawn. I'm in MA also and the season is right what you mentioned. I end my cutting usually around Halloween. Easiest and most reliable fertilizer system has been the Scotts 4 step. Easy and keeps them happy. Fall clean ups are another avenue that homeowners will be looking for. And then winter plowing and the list goes on and on. Occational cutting for real estate companies is also anavenue to look into. I'm sure there will be more than enough work to keep you busy.
  6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a word of caution. If you are going to be applying anything other than straight fertilizer you will need to be certified and licensed. The Scotts 4 step program contains insect & weed control products.
  7. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

Not sure if we need to be licensed in MA to apply fertilizers and control agents. For some materials yes but lawn chems, I'll find out.
  8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the site I have attached at the end of this message. It is under the Pesticide & Weed Control area of Lawnsite. I don't know of any state that doesn't require some level of certification and licensing with the east coast & Florida being some of the most strict.
  9. Evans Lawn Service

Evans Lawn Service LawnSite Member

OK i started 4 years ago I'm still part time.....i have a few things to live by in this bis..1 get your operating cost down (you have to do this).2 be dedicated to your customers at all times. 3 you have to be a hard a$$ on your prices stick with them (some people WILL try to talk you down) remember this is your company not there's.3 do not put flyer's on mail boxes(i did this 1st year and had to pay $300 for fines) IT IS ILLEGAL you cant put them on or around or even on the post. 4 go get your supplies at auto zone (lots of filters and grease and oil) look for deals on the weekends also look here on the sit and find some good places to find blades you need at least 4 sets to start out with.5 get insurance and license(no need to explain).5 just do a good job and it will grow from there
  10. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks. That sounds great. I appreciate it all. I have an Auto Zone close. Why do I need so many sets of blades? Do I really need a license? Where do I get one?