ONE MAN OPP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Feb 20, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Just curious about some of you solo operators, is it possible to gross 50k a year (it seems possible), working 40 hours a week, 9 months a year by using a 48wb, 33wb for gates, backpack blower etc. (I should have 35 weekly accounts this year, ranging from 30-50 a cut)? Basically I am mostly into yard maintenance and am thinking of fulltime next year, and just wanted some projections for a one man operation versus the higher overhead of having employees.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on where you are you should be able to GROSS twice that...a one-man show can NET $50k if not more.

3. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

well they say one man could make 60 k,but then you have to figure overhead.last night i figure that my 55 lawn acct. produce about 39k if cut 30 times a season,but most summers are not that good for weekly cuts.thats 3-3.5 days cutting,23k in expenses leaves me with approx 16k for the lawns -30% of course and that ain't enought i have not yet figured trimmings ,mulch and so on but 1 more day per week for 30 weeks 10 hr day produces 10.5k that will put you at about 50k one more day and you sould be at 60.with that said you must work 30 weeks 10hr.days at 35 per min to make 60k in approx 9 months so i personaly figure that i would like 1 more full day of lawns and the extra work from those customers should put me well over the top and would prob.need a little part time help.there is a fine line between solo and with help becouse if you don't get to the extras the custumer will find a company that will.
    I HOPE THIS HELPS
    also being solo and having to many lawns can screw you when it rains (go hydro)

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have always figured at $15,000 a day for each day in a week you want to work per season. So, 5 days at 15 = 75,000. This is just a real rough estimate though. But it has run true for me based on my years doing this, give or take a few thousand dollars.

5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Yes, it can be done! I agree that grossing 100k is possible.
    The key is to only do full service accounts. Do not do mowing only clients. If you have 60 accounts that are full service and each takes 20 mintues you can do all of them in three days (I'm on Long Island in suburbia and most properties are 60*80 or less). Now, if they're all full service (all applications, aerating, trimming,dormant oil, shrub and tree fert. etc.) you can get $1200-$1500 each per season. 60 times 1200 is $72,000. That's for 4 days per week (3 maintenance, 1 for the other stuff). The extra day or two each week (no sundays) can gross another $15,000+++ with design work, removals, stump grinding, etc. etc, etc. I fired all of the cheapos, late payers, out of the way accounts and plan to do 60-75 houses solo this year. I don't want to deal with employees or bad clients this season. I have 40 signed contracts back already out of 92 estimates so I feel good about this year already and it's still early! If your houses are $35-50 per cut then you should be able to get over $2000 each per season for full service. Here I average $20 per weekly maintenance visit. I hope that this is encouraging, it can be done!

6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my acct.s are mowing only and acct.for $40,000 in 2000.This does not include any extras.The rest depends on what services I can offer and how many I can sell per year.

7. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Might I add to my last post...
    I hope and think it can be done! I am making projections only, but they are based on signed contracts and many years of experience. I have done this in the past with help and grossed over 100k, I'm hoping to gross 90k+ this year solo. Hans solo.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I believe if a person concentrated his effort
    where the money is and offered pesticide,tree work
    fert ,and all the high priced extras he could make
    well over 100k.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You can net that working 8 months averaging 30 hours a week with a 52 hydro and leaving the gated yards to a co. with $8/hr employees.

10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

here we go again on this same subject it's like beating a dead horse. i think it all has to do with your location.and then you have the big "IF".if i can get all full service accts.if i don't get underbid etc,etc.it's been my experience that where i live (central n.j.) it is extremely difficult to find the full service customer- most just want the mowing and maybe some shrubs done.we're kind of "locked into" the $25.00 for the average cut around here.waaay too many part timers and scrubs under bidding.not saying that a solo op can't gross in the 70-80k range but you'd better be ready to bust your ass with over 100+ lawns to make this kind of scroll.last season i was servicing 50+ lawns by myself,mostly weekly and only 2-5% were what i'd call full service. i was lucky to gross near $40k last year.hmmm... maybe i'll move out to long island?