One man ops, what is you mowing strategy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JR Lawns, Aug 20, 2003.

1. JR Lawns

JR Lawns LawnSite Member

Just curiuos.. I have trying out diffrent strats to see what works the quickest..

I Edge, Trim, Mow and suck everyhing up while mowing I can get a small lot done in about 30 35 minutes...

I used to Edge, Mow, trim, and then cleaup, added about 10- 15 minutes to each yard....
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi JRLawns,

Here is a thread you may find interesting.

Mowing order
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you useing a ztr? mowing for 30 min on a z is a big lawn if you ask me. well i line trim edge mow and blow. i used to mo trim edge then blow. much faster and neater to mow and blow last.
  4. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

git er done
  5. Shawn's Lawn

Shawn's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I prefer to trim, edge, then mow and blow..... but I take my time for right now and it takes me an hour to hour and a half to do a good size lot.. but i use a 22" because I like the look better... but I do it for fun and for a work out mainly...
  6. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

The lawn will look much nicer if you trim and edge along sidewalks and driveways first,then blow all of the clippings as well as any leaves ONTO the lawn,then mulch everything up(or bag).In the end you will need to blow again but you won't be putting any large stuff back onto the lawn.
  7. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i disagree, i think that if you cut, edge, trim, then blow off the lawn will look much better. ive found that if i edge and trim before cutting the tire of the mower wrecks the nice line that the edger and trimmer make.for instance when you edge first then cut along a sidewalk, the tire of the mower rides right on the edge line making it not look as sharp.
    you obviously cant do this when grass length is very long because like some others said the mess left from trimming and edging is picked up by the mower, but for me even in the spring on a 7 day cutting cycle i have no problems with a mess of grass left when i mow first.
    just what works for me, may not work for everyone.
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually mow and my friend will trim while i mow, then once were done we edge and blow anything left behind. Works good we can get an "average" lawn done in about a 20-30 mins
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I sees grass and I cuts it!
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I always thought of it this way

OK lets see if I can remember that far back

Edge first, then cut. Mower can pick up some the edging debris. Line trim after, so you only did where the mower did not get. Beds then blow and move onto the next.