1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One man show or employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering who works by themselves and who has employees? If you have employees how many do you have? What do you think are the advantages and divadvantages of both? I would like to work by myself and just have someone on speed dial if I need help. To find someone like that might be kinda hard to do though!
  2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I go thrugh 2 people in the spring. By the time summer rolls around I got 1 left if not just myself. I gain 1 back in the fall. I try to do it mostly.
  3. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Two person show here, my wife and I. Too many things against hiring employees, OSHA considerations, more insurance, and insurance cost; training someone who knows it's a seasonal gig, the list goes on. Sure, employees could help my operation get bigger. Right now, for us, it works well for the two of us. And we both enjoy it.

4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Just me I and myself, I don't enjoy the hassels of having employee's, I tried it last summer, and it was a pain, it is hard to hire quality help here, I do have a few people I can get in a dire need for a day or so if needed, and that is about all they are good for. Not trying to get rich just make a darn good living.
  5. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

dont get any employees until your service goes down then youll need to hire someone.i just have one other guy,so as long as im there i dont have to worry about the quality of the job.plus the more employees the more overhead,more machines,etc,then youll have to make alot more to cover the expenses,it all depends on how money you need or want to make.
  6. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I agree with most of the responses. I have a saying about our business, "you either work by yourself or get REALLY big. If you're any place in between you starve." By the time you get someone trained and feel you can trust him, he quits on you. I once had a kid cut the wrong yard! Man that was an unpleasant phone call trying to get the person to pay. To me, one of the greatest advantages to this lifestyle is being able to work alone and not have to worry about anyone else. I know guys who have several crews working and they are allways stressed out and I seriously don't think they make much more money (if any) than I do.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet it's tough to take the plunge and hire help. I have heard and seen the problems that hiring can bring. I choose for now to stay solo. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, don't know.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Just my husband and me for now. We like not having to worry about employees and all the other problems that goes along when you have someone working for you.
    The only way to have employees is to have NUMEROUS crews working for you. Either stay small or go BIG. Inbeetween doesn't cut it.

9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am ready to start my second year in a new location,I offer many sevices and ALMOST to the point of needing help.I have just passed my Pesticide examination and will be offering that this year as well.....if it takes off I'am not sure what I will do.I also offer design and installation and have had family members help with that when needed.I like being small, but I do not want my growth to be held back because of lack of help,time will tell.JRB
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I never solved the employee problem.
    Thats one reason I remained limited.
    Some is better than others at getting
    dependable help w common sense.
    I just couldnt get acceptable work, that took
    care of my equipment.
    I have had a couple but they are too
    smart to make money for me when they
    could make it for themselves. I didnt
    blame them for that.
    I have come to veiw this as one of my
    weak points.Some can work others
    well.Probably just as well. Ive had a good time.
    Dont have to have no body to count my money or