One man show

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OX Landworks, Jun 19, 2006.

1. OX Landworks

OX Landworks LawnSite Member

I've been doing landscape design and installation full time for about one year now, so far I've done everything myself, with a very supportive wife. I was just wondering about other guys or gals who have been doing it by themselves. How long have you been at it without expanding to a crew? I like doing it all myself, for now anyway, so what has been anyone else's experience with this?

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

4 yrs now on my own and loving it.. had 2 guys with me last year trying to "expand" and it only expanded my headaches. back to being solo again with the occasional part time hepl when he calls and wants work. being solo os the way to go unless you just get so many accounts you cant complete them in a weeks time efficiently, then its time to decide to hire someone or cut back some..... i cut it back this year to myself again being solo and will easily gross over 6 figures. not a bad way to go....................

3. OX Landworks

Do you own any special equipment, other than the obvious tools, to get the job done?

4. i_plant_art

i have a truck trailer 2 trimmers redmax 2 stick edges one on the trailer one as a back up i keep at the house. 2 blowers... 24" hedge trimmers a long reach hedge prunner a honda 21" ( some people request to be cut with the 21 but they PAY for it) and of course to use in those tight spots... an Exmark TT 36" hydro 15hp kawi with mulch kit and exmark TT hydro 52" 23hp kohler with mulch kit. 2 rakes on the trailer half dozen shovels, a few irrigation heads and parts, 2 backpack sprayers ( im not licensed ) but i use roundup PRO in one and either fusalaide or ornamec in the other. thats really about it just the basics..... i started small with one lawn 4 years ago and have been word or mouth since then i do roughly 60 yards a week some are only mow edge trim and some are full year around packages that include irrigation maintenance, mulch , flowers, weed control in turf (sub out) and weed control in beds. ( hence the sprayers) a few of them have leaf removal on the small ones the larger ones i sub or refer out to someone else. I run things skeleton as far as not having a bunch of fancy equipment and things i dont need. i run all decent equipment and replace my small stuff every 2 yrs. ( at least thats the plan) replaced 2 trimmers and 1 edger this year.... and looking to possibly purchase an exmark 44" lazer for the convience of not standing all day.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Ive been running solo for a few years now, although I do only have around 30 accounts. As I have been recently picking up more landscaping I do think that eventually I will have to hire some help because it is starting to become overwhelming and the money is too dam good to pass up

6. i_plant_art

thats what she says!!! LOL

7. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

read both your posts regarding equipment, accts, etc. how many days/hours to you put in? if your gross is over 6 figures what are you netting? do you have a dedicated shop that adds overhead? understand if you don't care to share but thanks in advance anyway.

ken.

8. TripleD'sInc

TripleD'sInc LawnSite Member

I did it by myself for a few years and just hired one person to help. I prefer to do things my way because I know it will get done the correct way (well that’s what I tell myself). I just couldn’t keep up with all my accounts. My biggest problem was and still is I'm greedy and didn't really want to pay someone and I didn't want to drop any accounts. So there comes a time you may want to hire help and as long as the accounts keep coming in it all works out.

9. OX Landworks

I hear ya, letting someone else handle things is not my strong point. For some reason I think I can do it better myself. In many cases I'm sure that is not the case though. But I think that to realize the most success, with any business, you have to be able to delegated tasks. When it comes down to it, I ( as the owner) should be more valuable as a CEO than as a shrub planter or an operator.

10. greeneone

greeneone LawnSite Member

I had my lawn service for a 1 1/2 years and worked alone. I burned out big-time! After getting into an accident and losing my SUV, I could not afford to get something similar to replace it, so I quit and moved on. Now I'm trying to get back, losing 1/2 of my equipment however, low paying job, It will take me a while to get back on the horse, but I miss it and will return to it soon!