1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"One man shows"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 13, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How many one person owner/operators are out there? Can a guy make any money this way or do you just work yourself to death?

Thanks for all the advice?

Joel B.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Based on my experience, a one man show is tough. Throughout the years, I have made the most money (and least headache) with a 3 man crew.
  3. 10 years as solo and wouldnt change it. Wife was able to leave her job 7 years ago. Every day is one closer to death so I guess I'll head that way working for myself instead of at a job.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Bob...I have to admit, I loved working solo also.......Practicality kicked in and I brought 2 guys aboard. What happens if you twist your ankle??

I guess the key is finding the right people.
  5. Thats a worry-but how many have a job that will pay if you arent there? A little insurance and a contingency plan to get over the small humps. If the hump is too big then like anybody, I have trouble.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Was a one man show until this year, now I am a one man one wife show.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I supplement my income by donating blood and plasma. I also scrounge for aluminum cans in dumpsters;)

Seriously, It takes time to get where you can support yourself, but worth it. Most folks probably took a season or two with another job before dropping the other job.

Good luck
  8. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Me + A Walker = Happiness:)
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had to hire help a couple of times, that is why I'm still solo.LOL. Down here it's next to impossible to find and keep good help. I've talked to other businesses and heard their stories also.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Well, Joel B, how do you define "money"? A guy with a craftsman 21"and a Ryobi trimmer won't get rich, but you will find solo op's who visit L.S. who make $25K-$50K-and a couple who top $100K.

It depends on your equipment, your market, your business savvy, and a little capitol to get there.

I am solo and have seen 25 & 50, I'm going for 100.

Keep researching and growing and you can succeed.

Good luck.