One man with hand tools should be able to do 6yds of mulch in?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Prolawnservice, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How much time do you budget for 6yds of mulch, I think it shoud be done in 4.5 mhrs and I think thats generous. I have a guy that likes to take all day(8+hrs) for just 6 yds of mulch and a moderate pre weeding. What the heck is that?:sleeping:

2. show him a number 9 up the...................

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If the mulch is close to the beds, 4-5 hrs would be plenty of time...:usflag:

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on how the mulch goes in under the canopy of shrubs, and transporting to the beds. If it is a straight dump and spread with a wheelbarrow, then 2 guy should wrap it up in a couple of hours. 1 to cart to location, the other to spread it in correctly.

5. My 2 workers (mexicans) did 4 mulch jobs yesterday including a 17 yards of mulch. Two of the houses had 7 yards wheeled barreled to the back yard.
    They filled up 14-17 garbage of weeds and clippings. Ate lunch at a restaurant and traveled about 25 miles total.
    This all took place between 7am till 6 pm..........

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i can do 2 yards solo, talk to (and eat breakfast w/ the customer), go pick up 3 more yards, and be done in 3 hours. and that customer is a talker too.

7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good.......

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Hustling with just handtools I would say one yard should take around 30 minutes. About 3 heaping 8cuft barrels full. 10 minutes to load dump and spread. 8 hours would be ridiculously slow.

I had assigned two of my laborers to get four yards of mulch done on a small landscape we just finished up in the morning. I showed up after two hours (4 man-hours) and they had gotten almost halfway through it. I was freakin PO'd!!!

9. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

three yards per person per hour with an 8 cube barrow, a hard rake, a scoop shovel and a pitch fork. Oh yeah, a leaf blower. If my guys can't keep up with that and still make it look good, I don,t have anything left for them to do.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are right to be P.O.'d. My workers can do 1 Unit (7.5 yards) in about 4 hours. That's one guy. Maybe 5 if there something abnormal. But I'd be a little ticked too if it took one of my guys all day just to do 6 yards. That guy wouldn't be working for me very long.