One more Diesel Truck question...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A1 Grass, Mar 23, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate all the great info so far. It has helped me decide to get a diesel for sure!

I am leaning toward a 7.3 powerstroke / manual. What I need to know is, in the '93-'98 range, what should I stay away from?

Dodge and Chevy owners speak up too, I am considering all diesels right now.

Don't worry, pretty soon I'll buy one and stop bothering everyone with all this repetitive stuff!

:dizzy:

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

In the Powerstroke, you will want to check the water pump, fuel pump, fuel injectors, dual mass flywheel, and glow plugs/relay. These are all known maintenance items, some trucks worse than others. I just had a fuel pump put on my '97 F350, it cost $450. The injectors are incredibly expensive and quite problematic. My truck had already had them replaced before I bought it. Not sure what years were equipped with the dual mass flywheel, but from what I hear it is junk! Again, mine was replaced with "normal" flywheel before I bought it.
    If you're considering Dodge/Cummins, the '93 is the last year of the old body style, and one of the most reliable trucks on the road. There are virtually no "common" problems with that truck that I know of. And, it's easy to turn up the pump on those for increased performance. But it is a rough riding lumber wagon, and a lot of people don't like the style - though it's my favorite.
    In the '94 - '97 Dodge/Cummins trucks, the 12 valve ISB motor is very reliable also. The only common problems I can think of are: front dowel pin can work lose damaging gears inside the front cover - not very common, but does happen once in a while; the fuel return line has a tendency to rot and allow air in - it'll exhibit a hard cold start problem, with lots of black smoke; throttle position sensor sometimes, and that's about it. The last two are easy, cheap fixes, the 1st can be kind of expensive. The pump is relativly inexpensive and easy to turn up.
    The '98 - '02 Dodge/Cummins are 24 valves, computer controlled fuel injection. The most common problem is with the lift pump going bad. About $150 for the pump, and unlike the Ford, an easy do-it-yourself job.
    Any of them with the automatic aren't going to tow as well, and will need a rebuild within about 150,000 miles or less (unless you put about $2200 into it). The 5 speeds are known to have problems also, in both the Ford and Dodge. The Dodge problem is with the 5th gear nut. There's a fix for this also.
    The Fords will be more available, as there were more of them made, will cost a little less, and overall will not last quite as long as the Dodge/Cummins. But both are great trucks.
    Don't know much about the Chevies, other than some people have had great luck with them, some have had horrible luck.

Randy

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

The older chev's just don't make the power. Which is hard to believe because I think someone told me the last 6.5 was a Mack design engine.

I think on the Dodge they fixed the 5th gear nut a couple years ago. Nothing major there though.

The older 12 valvers and the 94 - early 98's will get better mileage.

The only other thing on the ford I know of is the gears in the front hubs of the 4x4. They take a special grease. Plus they were of a bad design. My buddy just spent money on his 95's hubs, they were locking in 4x4 on their own. He didn't notice it for awhile until he started figuring his mileage. Mechanic got into it and the gearing was all chewed up, not from lack of grease but just bad design according to the mechanic.

I don't think you'll have any problem with either of them as long as you find one that had a maintenance list kept on it.

4. A1 Grass

So, the Cummins get better mileage and they're cheaper to fix?

Hmmmm.....

5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep and they're cheaper to bomb, that is if your into that kinda thing.

:D
    Also the cummins is rated a medium duty engine whereas the psd is a light duty but the psd is a fine engine and is quite capable of handling anything.

6. A1 Grass

Ok. I have found a 1996 Ford F-250 / Ext cab / XLT LWB / 5Spd / 7.3 PSD / 200k miles. It looks to be in EXCELLENT condition. I am not going to mention the price yet, since it sounds too good to be true.

200,000 miles isn't bad, is it? Don't these things run forever?

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 Powerstrokes. A few gas jobs too, 92-94 were International 7.3 NON turbo. 94 offered a turbo option but not the Powerstoke motor! We love our Ford F350 4x6 and 4x4 Powerstokes the worst gas milage we get with our 4x6 dump is 15mpg and pickup got up to 22mpg all in the CITY! Your oil changes are more $$$$ 14 quarts of oil but nothing pulls like a diesel wether its a Powerstoke or Cummings they last longer and pull night and day different!

8. lawn storm

lawn storm LawnSite Member

what is the $2200 for ?
    150,000 miles is that right ? diesels are supose to out last gas motors .

oops i reread the post and you are talking about the trans but what would the $2200 get you ?

landscaper3 i love that ford truck you got in the tread about truck sighns . looks like the vinal came off with out messing up paint . got any pics of the truck siting like the first pic so i could see the defferance in the phone number being on the fender?

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn storm I took some pics with # on fender. I just took them and its dark but as you can see its very visable!

mvc-001f.jpg

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I aint going to argue with any body that the Cummins is a good engine. It is but in my opinion it isn't good enough to want a Dodge. Especially the older models which all ride like a tank. Very rough riders.