One more Muddstopper

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by keperkey, Oct 10, 2005.

1. keperkey

keperkey LawnSite Member

I am having trouble finding a Nitrogen only fertilizer with low urea. Recall that I had higher P and K numbers so i am wanting to do a Nitrogen only this week and in Mid-November. Looking online, all of the Nitorgen fertilizers I have found have Urea. Suggestions?
  2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

see if you can find some ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) or something similar. It also lowers the pH though.

just curious, why don't you want to use urea?
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Marvin, you have missed the series of post that preceeded this one. Keperky is seeding a new lawn and his soil is screwed up, I dont remember exactly what the conditions where but, Urea nitrogen has a tendency to gas off in warm dry weather which was the conditions when these posts started. The gasing off of the urea has been proven to reduce crop yeild , including grasses, with rates of as little as 5 lbs per acre when placed in direct contact with the seed. 10lbs per acre has shown a 75% reduction. Almost every State department of Agriculture recommends not using urea for grain crops, which grass is a grain, for this very reason. The gassing off will kill or damage the seed and or the new seedlings. The gasing off problem isnt as great in the cooler wet weather we are now experiencing. The problem also isnt as great if the Urea is placed in a furrow slice beside crop rows or if it is watered into the soil. Simply broadcasting the urea ontop of broadcasted seed will reduce the amount of seed that germinates.

Keperkey, If I remember correctly, your soil also had a Phos. deficency , You can use the same ag grade of 18/46/0 to get your nitrogen and build up your P as well.
  4. keperkey

keperkey LawnSite Member

Muddstopper has a good memory. Thank for the reply.

I used the 18/46/0 as my starter and things are progressing nicely. I am looking for a fertilizer for my second and third apps (1 lb N/K) this weekend and around Nov. 15. Will the 18/46/0 give me too much Phos. if I put down enough to get 1lb/K N?
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want urea, you could try Sustane 5-2-4. Also, finding a product containing Nutralene (33-0-0) would work. Lebanon has products with MESA, which is a slow-release form of Ammonium Sulfate. They have a 25-2-5 for example. Nutralene and MESA would work great with the soil temps you have now.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If I remember correctly your p levels where also low but you K levels where extremely high. without looking up the other posts and your soil test results I cant say for sure but I think for your next fertilization I would probably use the 18/46/0 for the N and P and then switch to one of the other fertilizers already mentioned. I do have some concerns about the test results. I believe you are redoing an exsisting lawn. If so, this lawn has probably been fertilized and limed in the past. The results you posted where out of wack and could of been the results of a faulty soil test. Not knowing who or how the samples where taken leaves a lot of room for error. If the test sample wasnt taken properly, all of the nutrients listed might not be any where close to what the test results showed. The one nutrient that your soil test doesnt show is the nitrogen levels, reason being these levels can vary day to day depending on soil conditions at the time of testing. Most testing companies dont even test nitrogen levels or post results of the nitrogen levels. The amount recommended is usually the amount that is required for good growth for the type of grass being planted. These amounts can be safely added during the cooler fall months and will translocate down thru the soil with wet weather or with proper watering and not be lost to the air.If you add to much nitrogen your biggest problem will probably be a hugh flush of growth and maybe a fungal problem next summer. The P also works it way down into the soil better during wet weather but otherwise is pretty immoble in the soil. In fact the wet weather will help all your nutrients translocate thru the soil and with your next soil test the K levels probably wont be quite so high. With your test results I feel the 18/46/0 is your best choice for now but once the amounts are applied I would suggest that you take another soil sample to have tested. Since you have already applied fertilizers to your soil, I suggest that you wait until eairly spring before testing. This will allow the winter weather to work the nutrients down into the soil for better soil saturation of the nutrients. Use a clean shovel and take several, (not just one or two), 6 inch deep soil slices from different areas of your lawn and mix these samples in a clean bucket. Send a portion of these mixed samples to the test facility and then use the test results for you next years fertilization schedule. You will find that if you dont remove the grass clippings when you mow that the P and K levels will stabilize somewhat and large amounts of these nutrients wont be needed every year. Mulch mowing also reduceds the amount of nitrogen needed each year. If you bag the clippings and dispose of them you will need more fertilizer every year. This is because the clippings contain the fertilizer you have applied and they will be returned to the soil as the clippings decompose.
  7. consider some 38-0-0, nitroform for strat n, also use sop 0-0-50 for potash