One more or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

A customer sends in their September payment, and includes a note. It says: Please discontinue cutting the property in PA for this year. (They live in West Virginia). So you get a call from your wife or secretary telling you to not cut the property anymore. However, you had that lawn on the schedule for today. Would you cut it one last time, even though you got the message not to cut it before you arrived at that customer's property?
    Be honest, this is not a test, just throwing out a conversation.
  2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

It would depend on if it was a pay by the cut or a contract. If they had already paid me I would cut it. If they were a pay by the cut then no unless I called them from the field and told them they were on my route for the day and asked if they wanted me to cut it one last time....
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd skip it.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 1 business day call ahead policy for all skips (for my by the cut company) so as long as they did that then they would be skipped.

For my full service company. People pay a month in advance, so I would tell them, they have already paid through xx date, so it wouldn't cost any extra to cut it until the end of the pre-paid if they want. Up to them. Notice no mention of refund, because I also have a 30 day cancelation clause.

I like to try to inform the customer and let them decided. Then it is their decision and less likely for them to think I am trying to screw them.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they a good customer? Are they coming back next year? Is it a quick mow? If so cut it. Do you have other properties in the same area? Cut it if you do. Doesnt hurt anything.
  6. Since it was on my route I'd look at at. If it really needed cut I'd go ahead and cut it. If not I'd skip it.
  7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I would cut it. Especially if they were a cheapo and it was too early to stop cutting. Had they called the night before, I would skip it.
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I wouldn't cut it. They already discontinued service.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This was a customer we picked up at the start of the season at the end of March. They prepaid in full for 5 months because they were out of state, and they were having someone come in and do work around the house to get it ready for sale. Come September, they put the house on the market, and we have been cutting per cut. Payment for September was due on October 10th, and they did pay on time. I do not think they will be returning in the spring, as I anticipate the house to sell. There is only one cut in October, the other day would have made 2 cuts. I was just curious if anyone else would have cut it one more time.
  10. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

We would cut it.

We have to know the day before if they want a skip. I am usually understanding if there is a voice mail or e-mail by 6AM the day of. Once the crew are out, they are out!