one more time BE CAREFUL!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 21, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

GUYS AND GIRLS, stay focused and be alert, and careful. today, i was edging a walkway. a bolt fell off of the edger guard. i left the edger running, and engaged. i got down on my hands and knees to look for the bolt, i took off my safety glasses, and very stupidly placed them about 3 inches from the edger blade, that was spinning. i found the bolt, and without turning to look, i reached behind me to pick up my safety glasses........

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Are you typing this with one hand or are you OK?

3. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Hope everything is O.K. ??

Lou :cool:

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Should we call you "Lefty" or "Lucky"??? LOL

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So Bobby,
    Are you now 2 legged? :D ;)

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What do you have....stitches or nubs???
    The suspense is killing us!!

MATT

7. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Sorry to hear that.

The problem with this business is that most of the equipment utilizes thick, often dulled blades.

Machine shop accidents, however, often result in clean cuts (bandsaws, for example) that make reattachments more successful.

Hope everything works out.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, lucky for me, im a very poor mechanic. its a belt driven machine, i could never get that belt to stay tight, and it was raining, so the belt was slipping a bit. also, i just put on a brand new blade 5 minutes earlier, which means it was dull, not jagged from running against concrete. a few stitches and a tetnus shot, a box of tissues to dry the tears, and i was on my way. i got lucky this time, remember to stay focused.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I am glad to hear that it was not worse. It only takes a moment to get into serious trouble and then it is too late. Remember this is coming from the man that has the previous injuries to prove it. Get better soon.

Gravely_Man

10. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Eh, while we are telling horror stories I guess I will tell about one of my crews accident a few days ago. They had three mowers on one trailer, and while one guy stood at the bottom of the ramp on the street starting his mower up, another guy was starting to back down without looking. Well, the guy backing down ran the mower smack into the guy standing at the bottom, it was pretty messy. Ending total was a bent front castor arm, a damaged handlebar, and a worker that I had to take to the emergency room for stiches and x-rays to check his ribs. Fortuneately his ribs were fine, just bruised. He got a total of 63 stiches in his rib cage and arm.

It pays to be careful, and look twice before you back up!

:cool: