one more time..........stick edgers..............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy33, May 15, 2001.

1. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I know that this has been talked about a little more than 40 times in the last year, but I need to know. In my area, very few lco's have owned or even has used a stick edger. Everyone around here uses a plain trimmer to do the job, even though the quality is not as good. as a matter of fact, not many dealers know what a stick edger is with out explaing to them. And none in the area carry one. I did have a edgit on a shindaiwa, but lost it going down the road, it shattered into a couple pieces. So now, I have decided to consider an edger. How do all of you like them? Are they hard to get used to? And Do all of you just edge like once a month, and do routine edge re-shaping with a trimmer......I'm uncertain since I'v never used one......... I'm considering buying a kawisaki since I have a couple of there trimmers now, and love them, but what is your opinions.......Any and all info would be greatly benefited from

2. Buy the best model Stihl has to offer.

3. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I just bought my first edger and am working it into the bus. Just got done wuth a sidewalk that hadn't been done before. Lots of grass and dirt. My honda 4-stroke ,31cc handled it pretty good though.

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I found one buried under a bunch of stuff in one of the greenhouses last year... cleaned it up , new plug , changed the oil twice and away I went....it is good for spring clean ups ...once or twice a year is all that is needed ...the rest of the time you can keep it in shape with the string trimmer..I love it ...it makes a world of difference on the job

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Ive never used a stick-edger i use a commercial curved shaft for edgeing and 2601 echos for trimming. I do know alot of my friends use them and they do a nice job, but i can do just as good or better with the curved trimmer. Marks Mowing Service

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to use a curved shaft trimmer to edge with, but not very good results. Then I bought an echo stick and what a nice difference. The only thing I don't like is the blades seem to bend pretty quick and then you get a bad vibration and have to change the blade. I've started to turn them over when this happens and that seems to help. That is the only downside I have found with a stick edger.

7. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Get one and you'll love the job it does PERIOD!

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the new Stihl and its great. Cuts through even the worst edges and I have yet to bog it down. :blob3: :blob3:

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl is the best, shindiawa are ok also. And you guys are lucky, i have to edge every one of my lawns every week.

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well to answer the question Yes They work great I have a shindiawa. We edge every other week. It would look really bad if it went any longer. I would like to see a picture of an edge done with a string trimmer. I have done it before but IMHO its no match for an edger.