One more time...Why this business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

What led you to this business?
    Was it losing a previous job? Liked working outdoors and being your own boss? The prospect of $$ from a start up biz with low initial investment?

This has been thrown around before but there are thousands of new posters who would like to know the background leading up to your decision to start your LCO.

Are you happy with the your decision so far?

Was it more difficult/less difficult than you expected?

All posts are greatly appreciated.

[Edited by Bassman on 03-30-2001 at 10:49 PM]

2. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I wonder why everyone thinks it's a low cost of start up. I spent 17,000 to start up and now have well over 80,000 in equipment and still have a need for more. It just seems that it hurts our ability to charge what we need to charge when there is a myth (I think) in low overhead, low equipment cost. It just isn't true.

3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I started doing lawn care in the evenings and weekends while I worked for a large tree service. Then one day a few years later I took the plunge and went full time now 5 years later I havent looked back once. I love this work and could not think of doing anything else.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say that I got started in high school. Pretty much been doing it ever since. Started out with 22 inch murrays electrical cord along with elec weedeater and blower. As I made money I reinvested into gas power. Eventually went to walk behinds and then went to the short cut. The reason I still do it you wonder? I have never had a "real job". I am spoiled and am too hard headed to work for some "JOE". I tried it and it never worked out. It was going to always be my way or I hit the high way:). Point...I like being my own boss:D

5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

BTW Yard I agree. I hardly ever give a quote over the phone. Sometimes I just have to to get the tight wade off my phone. I usually average 45/hr for 2 guys. For every one guy after that it is an additional 15. I have a 1 hour minimum. So I have to tell the customer this over the phone and they gasp. "Well I can not afford that!!" My reply is. "Mam when was the last time you had a plumber come out and work on your pipes? The average cost for you to have one guy come out and do this is 50 +bucks and hour and they do not even pro-rate and I do!!"
    customer "well that is just to high!"
    Me "WEll sorry mam I have over 20 grand tied up in equipment plus I have to pay my guys. Your plumber simply has a metal snake, monkey wrench and a van. Sorry I can not help you...buh bye." CLICK

And I really love those ones that say they are on a budget....I simply tell them I am on a budget to..Have anice day.
    Ok I am loosing track..only my 2 cents

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well guys it as simply as this i still am in high school, senior this year. i started out in 8th grade as a way to start to save for college. as i got my accounts and better equipment i realized in the winter of my soph. year in high school(2 years ago) that i love doing this work, and that its already paid for college, and that i wanted it to be my life. this is my real job, gor any guy sitting behind a desk all day i would love to see him come out in the yard and make look as i do. we all have a starting point mine is just starting still as i look to take it up to 70 lawns a week. this is where i'll start to really grow, i have a step ahead of most of you guys because i started when i did, this doesn't make me less of a man in the yard compaired to you just because your older.remember that one day a young buck like myself might come along in your area and start to change the way you do things. i've started 4 new trends in mine whether other guys want to say it because of my age but the out come after they tried it is unreal.

i'll let you guys in on one of them, its involves mulch and a tarp. email me at JJSlawnservice@aol.com if you want to know the secret.

7. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Josh,

How much longer until we get cutting here in
    Ohio? Just saw snow for this Monday. Jeez.

Jb

8. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting grass was my first job 40 years ago (21" Lawnboy, still runs). It was a means to buy my first car. I always enjoyed it. I quit, went to college, spent 27 years doing sales and service for a large pest control company. I'd come home everyday and work out in my lawn as therapy to recover from bad days at the office. That's what made me decide to go back in to professional lawn care.
    No regrets, no turning back, plus landscapers have the coolest toys.
    Stick with it joshua, if I had stayed with it since being your age, I'd be national by now.

[Edited by finelineslawn on 03-31-2001 at 07:52 AM]

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

For me personally, It is mainly the money. Pay for general labor down here is very low, so when I saw I could make three times that,it was a no brainer. Also I get to be outside and be my own boss. Works for me!

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Well it was 78 or 79 somthin and my boss said
    for the umpteenth time ,boys hang in there.
    I think I got 11 hrs that wk as plumber.
    So I just started looking for various ways to
    makesome scratch.Im still doing same thing.