one more wet week in ct..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, May 15, 2006.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i know that rain is needed, but im really getting worried now... its been two weeks of rain... ive got two calls this weekend from clients after they watched the weather report for the week.... they both asked WHEN ARE YOU COMING? then one said dont mow the lawn if its wet!!! what do they think, im going to blow dry the lawn so i can cut it ??? I think that the hardest thing about running this buiss. is trying to please everyone!!!! Rather they think that they are the only client i have or they think that its going to be like it was when they mowed it on their own, ive had one guy last year tell me one rain day that it stopped raining a few hours why didnt you come?? yeah buddy like that lawns going to dry in two hours after it rained 1.5 inches. I know this has nothing to do with mowing, but one snow storm a lady tried to tell me what i should do (PLOWING) i told her ok, lets get in my truck and you can show me, seeing you already know how, OH-NO ive never driven a big truck like that before !!!

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im getting worried myself, 1 week of rain i can deal with but two weeks the lawns are just gonna be a mess. If it was just a light rain it wouldn't be so bad but when it comes down it pours. I wanted to get out this morning before the next batch of rain came in but the ground is so saturated you sink in the mud just walking on it.

3. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

yea this rain is really screwing us now..mud, mud and more mud

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i got 3 lawns done this morning before the heavens opened up again. I'm 10 behind from friday's route. It's certainly going to be a messy week, I'm going to jump them all back onto the normal schedule this friday, I figure most will need to be cut again by then because of all the rain anyway.

edit, Make good use of the down time, get ahead/caught up on paperwork, work on advertising, website, cold call that business you wanted to bid earlier this year. finish up some estimates, gather some prices from the suppliers you haven't visited yet this year, clean the shop, change the oil in the machines, sharpen blades. There is plenty of work to be done even when you're not doing anything billable

5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

your right!!! im sure if i go to my shop right now, ill be in there a few hours just doing things that ive over looked this past weekend

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

this is exactly why in this situation having employees is a big asset...they help ya get caught up quick.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Um... not to mention the $$$$$you lose, Hell with how wet the lawns are, what about the $3,000 you lost last wk. b/c you didn't cut.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Couldn't agree more...When I was solo I would be worried as hell right now.

Now it's just more work for them....I push those two sticks that make the mower go forward:headphones:

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't take anymore rain. i mowed my lawn today and got stuck on the hill, never have i been stuck before. not even on my long icy driveway in winter.

10. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Your nuts to mow today, I didn't see one LCO. :hammerhead: