1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One mower- 34" Phazer, 34" Gravely, CC ZWing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, Jan 25, 2006.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Phazer $4700
    Gravely $3800
    ZWING $5700

I can only afford one mower and have plenty of gated yeards to deal with. If you were in my situation which would you buy?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Never using any of them I can't say, but I would go demo all 3 and go from there. I like the idea behind the Cub Cadet, that would be the most productive in terms of cutting width of the 3 you listed. The 19 HP engine of the Phazer might allow that machine to be more productive in thick, dense grass.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I like Exmark, they are great mowers, but I would be leaning towards the Cub cadet, that would allow you to cut more grass. I would just be worried about the cub's durability.
  4. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

depends on the size of your gates and how much u have in the yards....
    measure your smallest gates.. even if they are around 37", its still hard to get some 34's through (especially that cubcadet, its probably 37" im guessing)

absolute best choice (and i have one) is the wright 32" stander...

I can get in corners of gates much better than a 32 wb or the gravely 34, exmarks new 34.. i would stay away from the cc.. if u have smaller yards (IE 1/4 acre) then the 32 stander is the better choice. the hp on the exmark is not necessary.. the gravely is 15hp.. and the 32 w.stander comes in 15 or 17 (w/an optional electric start w/the 17hp) but the extra horse and the electric start isnt necessary. (i have the 15)

not to mention the wright 32 works around obstacles better than all those.

if mowing mostly hills i would stay away from all.. but im assuming thats not the case since ur looking at these... go w/ a walk behind if your mowing hills....

i luv my 32".. they make a 36" but i would not be able to get it through most of my gates.

plus the standers 32" cut is the best... ive used a 21" on some of the lawns i had used the 32 and got complaints that they thought the 32" was a better looking cut over a 21" mower.

i almost opted for the gravely 34z... so glad i didnt.. not as efficient

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Your talking about the gravely PM 34Z right? I was on their site and the MSRP was $5099 i think. How can it be that different??

a dealer here is looking to get rid of his last 2005 model for $3800, I was surprised too. theres a dealer her in town but he wants 5799 so im going to drive an hour to save a thousand bucks.
    I like th idea of the 32 stander. but its killing me to go as small as a 34 let alone a 32. before long ill be looking at push mowers.lol the gates here arent that small, i was getting through most of them with my 38" John deere lt 150. but i also had a BETTER 36 to back me up for really small gates. But instead of getting 2 homeowner or light commercial mowers I want one truley commercial mower to do all for now, one day ill get a bigger z for larger yards.

I meant to say the dealer here wanted 4800 for the gravely. sorry
  8. Trevor8

Trevor8 LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

those cubs woulnt last long if you mow a couple of lawns a day
  9. 2Ts UT

2Ts UT LawnSite Member

I got a Phazer this year. I do a lot of gated residential yards and there is only a couple that it doesn't fit through. Its fast, is great in the really deep grass. I do mostly bagging and it works great! The cut is amazing. I love the stripes that it leaves and I get compliments all the time. Its awesome. I really can't say enough good things about it. I think a stander would be awesome as well. But you can't get a stander with a floating deck in anything around 34". The gravely is heavier than the exmark but other than that I haven't heard anything negative about them. Dealer support is huge though. My exmark dealer is awesome. The closest gravely dealer is like 20 miles away. That would play a huge role in what I decided to do. thats my .02
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Cub Z Wing was a total disaster. They never could make them where they worked properly, or held up to regular use. It was supposed to be discontinued a couple of years ago.In fact, they took it out of our dealer line-up book in 2007 I believe. If you find a new one, it has to be an old left-over-stock machine. Don't even think about it.
    The Gravely Commercial 34" ,is a tough, well built machine, with a great cut. We sold a lot of them, and never had any customer complaints about that machine. It will go right through a tight 36" gate with no problems. It also mulches very well with the optional mulch kit.