One of my client use me a lot

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by guven, May 17, 2006.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I took seven months but finally I got rid off him .I was doing yard job,odd jobs and lawn mowing to him , He has two houses lake front.At the begining every thing was good I was charging him $23 but everytime they were cutting my money almost %35 and telling me we are going to pay you next time more, and every week they are calling me come do this do this....they were thinking they are my only day I worked all day long more then 8 hours sanding approx 20X20X10 garage and prime the all garage 2X paint the half of the garage, I got a lot of dust and paint on me.At the and of the day I wanted $160 and the guy said me ok good and walked home then came out give me check for $100 and telling me if I go paint store pick a kid ( I guess when you buy paint ,paint store offer you a kid to use it all day) we were going to pay him $70 I pissed off drove away, they call me back again telling me come finish to the job also we have 2 hours job for you which is 16 cubic yard stone to spreat around the house and drive way I said him I do not want to work for you any more , he talked to me like a friend and made me went there ( he was well talker and very polite)
    I worked them over 35 times ( every time I did not want to work them but he made me work)
    His wife is telling me we paid you over $1500 . I could not tell my feeling to her because of my English level. I delivered them over 3 tons white marble stone and charging every trip 20 bucks .they think I am slave or making good profit from them. last week finally I got rid off them , they call me over three weeks but I never answer the phone even I did not listen to voice massage, because if I listen to message I know I will be there, Because the guy is really good talker or I was idiot.
    Now I have no headache,I feel much happy without them , when I was working with them they were most of time standing next to me telling me do it like this do it this. I did french drain for them over 30 feet, I dig 4 feet deep and they cut my 5 hours and paid me 80 bucks

I am much happy without them but I keep thinking what they did to me and still this making me crazy.
    I do not how to say NO to people
  2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to make this sound bad, but that's your fault. When somebody does you wrong like that, end it right then and there. You made yourself his personal slave and he walked all over you like he would a door mat. And he knew you would return over and over again. You need to learn to say NO.
  3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

saying no to customers only gets easier and easier, especially after the ordeal you went through. I have learned that there are and always will be customers that will try and take advantage of you.
  4. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

next time bring gun, gun solve lots problems;> jk just kidding.please dont bring gun.
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

just think of it this way.... you lost that one that took up a lot of your time, now without this customer you could get 2 or 3 people in the same amount of time you spent there and make more money and most importantly less STRESS!
  6. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Two things, either this is a joke or you have got to be the stupidist person I have ever seen. You mean to tell me you would put up with this for 7 months, let alone one time.:hammerhead: :confused: ;)
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you understand my english, I know what you feel because people took advantage of me a lot in the beginning.
    I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel your pain and your anger and I am sorry but it is ok to be angry.

Many times I got very angry, but I know today this anger is how I learned to say NO !! The first time I said NO it took forever but the second time is a little bit faster, and now 5 years later I can say NO instantly (ok I am not perfect so not always).
    You just said NO for the first time, this means you are learning and now life will become better.
    Good job, and do not answer the phone, this is good sometimes I also do not answer telephone for pita customer like that.

One time many years ago a friend of mine said, sometimes you need to get very angry and then when you get very angry many times, one day things will change for you. I am not saying anger is good, it is better to learn to say NO without anger, but sometimes it is the only way.

Next time you get somebody wants you to do work like that man, you quote DOUBLE price then you never have the problem.
    And if you quote DOUBLE price and there still is a problem, DOUBLE the price again.
    Yes, so not 80 dollars but 160 dollars and if that is not good, then 320 dollars is better.
    You will not get that job, but then it is no problem and these people will not bother you no more.

Also if somebody does not pay you, you need to learn some collection methods.
    Check out
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Is this a joke? You kidding me, si o no? Tu' hablas espanol?
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I think mexicans should be paid in pesos not dollars.
  10. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Yes I took over 7 months , I am not stupid but I just do not say no to client, sometimes I told him and his wife no but they approach me different way like I have to keep the client happy balababalala...I told you he was very good talker

this is true , Now I have more time to my good clients .