1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

One of my competitors had a rouph start Yesterday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Oct 9, 2002.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

For the past three months I've started running a paper route early in the morning. Yesterday I saw a five man crew, at 4 AM!, starting on a Burger King on my route. Problem was that 72" Koboto was stuck in a ditch or had a flat tire next to the ditch. Two guys were standing around looking really dejected and not completely awake.

Was not in my truck so I did not have anything to offer in the way of equipment help- firgured five men would eventually get the thing out. I've gotton my Wright Stander unstuck twice by myself.

Any way, I thought "4 AM?" Geez! How can you see the grass?

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is quite early to put it mildly. Hopefully they got the machine out of there. That really must make for a long day for you though. Have a great day and be happy it wasn't you stuck!

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Matbe they were stuck from the night before! :D
  4. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

If they was starting at 4am then they deserve to get thier stuff stuck! Geez!
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

4 is early. I started at 5:30 a few times to beat the heat.
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably couldnt see in the dark and ran over a pole or sign. Man, thats early. The earliest I have started was about 6:30 in Mid-Summer.

Maybe I should order some night vision goggles so I can beat the heat next year.:p

7. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

what time do you usually start on res yards. Me, no earlier than 8:30. Too many wrinkled noses.
  8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I start my res. at 7:00 just because my day is so long. They are long time customers with kids so they are up early anyway and understand. When I am not crunched for time I will start at 8:00
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Any properties I ever started before 7:30 were commercial. Never had any complaints.
  10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I haven't seen a problem with doing commercial properties at almost anytime. If they had some decent lighting and were familiar with it, they'd do fine probably.