One of my towns leaf pick-up rigs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Nov 4, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Nice set up they got here. I think they have a couple few of theses running throughout town. My city does free leaf pick up starting late Oct. til it snows. There actually is a Kubota machine with a leaf plow in front of the front end loader. He pushes all the leaves along the street curbs into big piles, and then pushes right into the bucket and then of course the bucket into the dumper and gone they are.

whatta setup.jpg
  2. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Sweet Deal!:cool2:

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweet. I guess thats faster than a vac? Thats what we see her in St.L after a big storm.
  4. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

it costs 3-5 dollars per yard of leaves to be dumped at the city's drop off site. So I was thinking the areas of town (outskirts) that the city doesn't pick up free and I have to trailer leaves away, if I don't get caught, I could just unload along the curbs of my house and have them picked up for free, but still charge the $30.00 dump fee? :D whaddaya think
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of guys standing around, and a terribly inefficient work method.

What's wrong with the picture?

I see about $1 million in stuff (tractor and dumptrucks) plus about $200,000 or annual salary to gather leaves.

One or two men operating a large vacuum loader THAT HAS SHREDDING/REDUCTION capability would perform more work in less time.

It does not take a whole lot of unshredded leaves to fill a dump truck. Even the cheap Trac-Vacs we use shred the leaves to less than 1/3 initial volume.

Way to go, tax and spend. :realmad:
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is a city 5 miles to the west of me that goes around with a bucket and picks up leaves as well.

I think that I live in the only city in a 30 mile radius that does not pick up leaves
  7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i dont know about the dumping them at your house some guy got caught doing that big fines but i would do it if my town had leaf pick up
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

they pick them up on the curb around here. my customers tell me i can put them out front, however I dont, I just think it looks more professional when I take the leaves away. And if I only take a couple tarps away then I usually just put them in front of my curb and pretend like they came from my backyard. lol. But if I have mroe than 3 tarp fulls, or if my truck is full up to the brim with leaves, then I dont mind paying $15 to dump them.

Last year a contractor got caught dumping a whole semi-load onto the curb and got a big big fine, when i called the city last week they said they dont mind if its not an extreme amount.
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Several municipalities that we work in collect the leaves at the curb - HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE A CONTRACTOR they require you to take the leaves and debris away with you and dispose of them. How much sense does that make?
    Try explaining to a customer (who pays high taxes as it is) that despite the fact that they have already paid for the city to take their leaves away that they have to pay me again to haul them away all because they choose to hire someone else to do their fall clean-up.
    A couple of years ago, we actually got a $150 ticket because we left the leaves at the curb at a clean-up. The cop didn't say anything to use - just mailed us the ticket (he drove by and wrote our name/info down and drove back by later to see if we left the leaves at the curb).
  10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Exactly what I was thinking;)