1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

one of our first projects...pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Jacob's Yardworks LLC, Oct 30, 2008.

1. iDesign

iDesign LawnSite Member
    from MA

I like it because it is unique. Nice contrast between the soldier course and the run. More importantly, is the customer happy. Its certainly a conversation piece.

Mike

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm more concerned on what type of base was used? how thick? also what about the edge restrain it looks like it was installed on top of the sand, also next time try to finish all the sides with a bigger piece try to avoid those little pieces they will usually move overtime.

3. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

Looks great, I wish I had been that good at 18! I see you being very successful in your life!

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Gee, thanks for the comments. "blushing" Here is an example of what I mean. When transitioning from one large area (patio) to a walkway, try to be creative and at the same time you save a bundle of time and material. No cutting cornners on design DVS, just logical to me. :)

July 2008 work 007 (Medium).jpg

July 2008 work 010 (Medium).jpg

5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Lookin good as always zedo

Man, I love Permacon. I have Trafalgar, Vendome, and Mega Arbel jobs lined up for next year... I'm so pumped!

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Andy, the pic you posted is very impressive.

But, ok, how do I word this. Ok, in the pic you have an arbel circle at the end of the walk, which is what is transitioning the walk into the patio. Yet prior to the circle, the walk is set in a running bond pattern.

Your original comment regarded "cutting" and "saving time", it never mentioned "transitioning" :)

Other than you have a circle at the end, how is that running bond pattern any different than the angled pattern in the Jake's photo? Honestly, I believe Jake's workmanship in the cutting and mitering of the pavers in his walkway is outstanding. I know it took a while to do, but look at the end result!

No disrespect, and maybe I'm not understand what you're saying, Andy, or maybe you're not understanding what I'm saying, from an architectural standpoint I'm not seeing how your random pattern consists of any more logic than Jake's pattern. The circle is a nice touch. However from a drop-click-and-go mentality - then sure I understand ya. But from a mentality of "what can we do to make this really stand out" mentality - I'm not following ya.

One of the great things about paver work is that you can be as creative as you can dream. And with creativity - usually comes cutting and mitering pavers.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Ok maybe transitioning isn't the right word here but his work could of been done faster, with less material waste and look nicer imo, if he would of curved the brick to follow the walkway. It looks so cold with the lines running straight. My only reason to comment at all, is to help this guy who obviously takes great pride in his workmanship is to give some sugestions as to how it could be done and how it could look. Maybe my pics don't really tell the story but just wanted to show him how smooth the walk looks without all those cuts.

8. PlatinumLandCon

I think this is what Andy and I were getting at. Drawing is rough but you get the idea. I think it helps the flow of the path.

joint lines.jpg

9. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

Thats what I needed! Makes sense now to see it drawn out, i do agree it would help with the flow doing a running bond and getting rid of the soldier row infront of the walk as well as eliminate a lot of cuts. Hey, something to try next time! Thanks for the visual.

10. PlatinumLandCon

No worries man, I'm a visual learner myself so I thought I'd try to remove all the grey areas with everyone trying to explain what to do.:drinkup: