One of our summer projects this summer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike33, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a wall we did in august for a friend of mine. Wall was 150' x 5' we was back today to do some minor excavation for a garage.
    mike

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! nice work! If it looks as good as I'm imagining, it sure is nice!

3. Mike33

Guess it wouldn't hurt to load the pic.

rc.jpg

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

WOW!

Hey Mike33, is that Allan Block? Do you use it much? How do you like working with it? How many walls do you have out there?

:laugh:

5. Mike33

Mark, yes ab how many uuhhh i came in to this season with 200 plus. To be straight i would say around 230. Keep in mind that will include some 25' x 2 courses. Then we have the real walls like this one. I have posted this before but here i know will open a can of worms. I learned with ab and at the time for many years besides a crappy solid block with a cheap rear lip from my local concrete store ab was the only thing in my area. In fact people would say i want a allan block wall and didnt even know the product. Ab is a good product for what i do, i mainly build strong walls in my hill side area holding back an area. The product does have issues though, we have found many this year with bad tolerances on the lip, corners out right suck. We do have ep henry and cornerstone in my area. I have a few with cornerstone because a friend of mine sells them and i install what he sends me. We are starting to like the product i will post a pic later of 2 terrace walls i built this summer over 100' long and bottom wall 8' in height. Ep henry prices are 1.50 a block more at my local dealer and the guys delivery sucks and is very pricy. Keep in mind most of my walls i have block delivered due to they average at least 6+ skids. Ab is okey but knowing the product and having extras at my shop i know how to make money with them. We read many posts of what is best but the bottom line i build walls for one reason and only : to make money and i have done very well at it. My dealer actually will keep at least 8 skids of earthen blend on hand just for me. My area is small town we dont have techo and other brands availble that i have seen here, so that is what i use. I can say i have some from 98 when i built my first wall and still holding. Thanks to this site i can say an ab reg. looks bad for a small landscaping job where a smaller block would look better. But 98% of all of my walls are like this one doing a job holding something back not just for extra looks.
    mike

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike you are the MASTER at AB !! Good work.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

looks good to me.

when will designers of wall block realize that the dinky little capstone they provide for the wall block sucks. you have this massive wall then this tiny cap:dizzy:

did you have to use geogrid because of the surcharge above? did you bury 1 or 2? just curious, I've only done 1% of the walls you have done so that is why I asked.

8. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Mike, what do you charge per FF for a wall like this?

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice wall Mike! I personally like the AB's front-side lip as opposed to Anchor Walls. We did a 170' * @ 3.5ft a couple weeks back and it went smoothly. Here's a pic.

IMG00132.jpg

10. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice straight work. That's alot of base prep. Screed ?