One of those customers RANT

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Some Sprinkler Guy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

oops should have been 600... after tax washer and dryer came to 1500 bucks... darn well better last at least 10 years at least.....

might just have to buy something made in another country...

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe .... or spend more money. Some of the dryers I am looking at getting cost nearly as much if not more than your washer/dryer pair.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, because, knowing you (which I dont) you're getting one that takes the dirty, damp air, dries it, and compresses and stores it for use in the garage. It probably knits you a sweater too, from the lint screen, after 20 loads. :)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't that be cool, although I would rather have one that extracts the water for reuse. :clapping:

Now if I could just find one that could also take cat hair and combine it with the lint then I would be all set. :laugh:

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

The cat always objects to being in the dryer for more than a few minutes. ;)

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoulda bought it at Homer Despot. They would have replaced it at word one.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yea ... then rebox the lemon and sell it to the next sucker.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

After experiencing essentially the same thing you have this is what I have developed as a response mechanism.
    1. I try to speak with the client to address their question(s) or issue(s).
    2. Failing a reasonable outcome despite the work being performed correctly I politely remind the individual work was performed and payment is expected.
    3. No payment = a certified letter again politely demanding payment
    4. After the waiting period and no payment = a trip to the local JP's office for that precinct the work was completed for a court date.
    I politely remind the infrequent complainers that work completed in the State of Texas which isn't paid for is a crime and will be prosecuted as such.
    Now, all of this said the JP is the real kicker in the whole affair - get a decent one that understands small businesses and you'll be alright. Get a schmuck and you'll find it isn't worth the effort to pursue.
    Right now I am 50/50 as the other JP's in my county are alright and the other for my precinct is a complete waste of time.
    Personally I have adopted the philosophy of halted/canceled payment = they are trying to scam me so for anything beyond $250 I pursue.
    I have only had one cc payment canceled and I challenged it successfully by showing the invoice to the cc company that the work was completed according to a signed work estimate and if I didn't get paid I would notify the court.
    Got my money plus collection costs but it was a problem.
    Now I have a segment in my file cabinet of "deadbeats" as well as in my Quick Books - if a deadbeat is in either one they pay-up in full up front or no more work. Most usually refuse to pay-up front so I tell 'em to get lost.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

As a side note, I have had only one deadbeat really get my "goat". When I spoke to this piece of human crap during the repair which ended up being quite a bit more extensive than first estimated he actually went hands on with me. Grabbed my shirt collar and ripped my shirt so I leveled his ass with a sharp shooter.
    Cops were called and a three hour repair ended up taking all day.
    Got paid but it was a pain and the JP who is a schmuck dropped the charges on the deadbeat. Found out later the deadbeat got killed while driving drunk - ran into a tree. Went to where he was buried and was going to take a dump but forgot the tp and didn't like the feel of those cheap ass plastic flowers so I just unzipped and let spray instead.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I did, and they aren't...

however HD Corporate in Atlanta has been notified...so we'll see who jumps up to the plate to swing after tuesday...

My first washer dryer set was the cheapest i could find and they both lasted 12 years...

Sorry for thread jack